PDA

View Full Version : Channel 5 Smart Crash test

Matt
03-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Ch 5 blurb:- The popular Smart car was launched in 1988 and is now much loved for its looks and all-round cuteness. However people continue to question how it would fare in a crash. Euro ENCAP awarded it three out of five stars and subsequent tests of seem to have confirmed that the Smart is well capable of surviving crash tests thanks largely to its 'Tridion Safety Cell'. Well, we raise the bar this week with the toughest test ever by driving a Smart at 70mph into a concrete motorway block! Watch the show for the results.

Well I did and the little sod did us owners proud, yet the feature tried to end the segmentwith a slant against the Smart mmmm

K12THH
03-11-2004, 12:11 PM
It was a good result, but i think that one will need more than a T cut and polish.

Just rember to duck if you are going 70 into a concrete block as the back window almost went through the windscreen

SuperStevie
03-11-2004, 01:11 PM
I heard about this. Something about it being as safe as a corsa, a considerably larger car!

Go on smartz!

AndyM
03-11-2004, 09:29 PM
A qoute from the Bible is appropriate here i feel

"And they were sore amazed!"

What a revelation to see just how well the Smart stood up to a 70 mph pileup!:D

However i did feel that a few comments were not really warranted.NO human being no matter what "normal Car" they are driving is going to escape a 70 mph to 0 mph in 1 sec pileup.So to that effect it maybe surmised that a Human being is not Smart Proof!It was dramatic though:D:D:D:D:D

04-11-2004, 03:11 PM
For those that didn't see the program, a nice quality copy of the piece can be found at http://www.bubski.com.

It's 107Mb though, so you'll need broadband. Best to download it and play it locally, save Bubski's bandwidth :)

Does make for dramatic viewing.

I believe the original owner of the car used has come forward on one of the other forums. Quita a sad moment for them.

- Neil.

SuperStevie
04-11-2004, 04:04 PM
I'll download that when i get back from work!

Matt
04-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Hi

I have also prepared a version of the footage, if you go to the miansite it is under the crash test tab. Its about 14mb in size and is onyl really suitbale for Broadband connection. Matt

puresmartie
04-11-2004, 09:44 PM
I haven't seen it.......to be honest I'm a bit scared to watch :(

SuperStevie
04-11-2004, 09:55 PM
ijust watched it! :shock:poor wee smarty!

But to fair i thinks its got nothing to be ashamed of not bad for a car as short as it is!

phildperv
05-11-2004, 01:23 AM
The thing that amazed me the most was that fact that you could still open and close both door !!! Now after 70 mph head on crash into a concrete barrier how many other cars would be able to do that .

Still it allimiterial , after a sudden stop like that no matter what car your in .. youre a gonner , still at least I'll still have a respectable body to put in the coffin ( well okay reasonable body .... well to be honest a p*55 poor body but it was like that before any crash )

SuperStevie
05-11-2004, 02:13 PM
It just goes to show how stiff the structre really is. And for a car thats 6 years old, thats really good going!