PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fitted this to their 451 CDi?

SuperStevie
21-11-2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.smart-parts-direct.com/acatalog/info_939.html

I'm not going to buy it, because if I do want to modify my car, it will be with a Big performance remap. Just interested to see if anyone has gone down this route and what they thought of it?

Ferrina
21-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Stevie,
Not too sure about tuning boxes, there are loads on Ebay, etc. Best seek expert advice ;) (http://www.bigperformance.co.uk)

maggi200
21-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Dad got one for his motorhome and saw a massive increase in power and.torque and a bif jump in fuel efonomy

J500ANT
21-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Shaun (2minits) had one on his 450 cdi and it fecked it right up.

H Palmer
21-11-2009, 05:34 PM
most of these tuning boxes only fettle with the governor, basically opening it right up to give a power increase, when in fact your engine is teetering on the brink of self destruction.

Not worth it, stick with a specfic remap for your engine and not a generic box of crap!

maggi200
21-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I should mention his was done by a company bit I know no more thab that lol, probably best to get a remap

ScottRussell13
21-11-2009, 06:34 PM
most of the ones on ebay say "extra 20bhp" or whatever but they only give 2 or 3 extra lol, wouldnt say its worth it depends how much it is

pinger
21-11-2009, 06:49 PM
most of these tuning boxes only fettle with the governor, basically opening it right up to give a power increase, when in fact your engine is teetering on the brink of self destruction.

There hasn't been a Diesel this millennium fitted with a governer. Ancient history. All electronic now.

H Palmer
21-11-2009, 06:57 PM
There hasn't been a Diesel this millennium fitted with a governer. Ancient history. All electronic now.

I know that, it's the most apt term I could use. These tuning boxes are a big mistake, they mess with engine in ways that shouldn't be done.

pinger
21-11-2009, 07:22 PM
This is likely to be as contentious as the do they don't they blow up issue!
Audi salesman told me VAG approve and encourage there use - to the point of supplying the info to the tuners. Fills in the flat spots engineered in to pass noise and emission tests - restoring the engine to what it was straight from the engineers, ie with all its intended output.
Till now heard nothing but good about them - but opinions will differ!
Safer than re-mapping a petrol I would have thought.

H Palmer
21-11-2009, 07:34 PM
This is likely to be as contentious as the do they don't they blow up issue!
Audi salesman told me VAG approve and encourage there use - to the point of supplying the info to the tuners. Fills in the flat spots engineered in to pass noise and emission tests - restoring the engine to what it was straight from the engineers, ie with all its intended output.
Till now heard nothing but good about them - but opinions will differ!
Safer than re-mapping a petrol I would have thought.

Turbo'd motors respond better to maps, petrol and diesel. Having seen a V8 diesel twin turbo'd F150 Ford truck have one of these boxes plugged, I ran when I saw the truck shake violently as torque went through the roof on the diagnostic machine!

2minits
21-11-2009, 07:51 PM
There is only one thing to say about those bits of s??!t.... AVOID if anyone would like to borrow one to bugger their car....drop me a line and you can borrow mine.....

As Ant said,
I bought a smart specific one from germany.....it seemed fine for a couple of days then the car seemed to get used to it...so i took it off....the fuel economy went through the floor and the car wasn't as it was...

i then had the offer of a remap (from BIG performance) and jumped at the chance...Ian plugged the car in to diagnose any problems and found that the box had corrupted the cars standard map and screwed up the fueling....

needless to say I can't rate the remap highly enough, there are one or two other companies that remap diesels, if their maps are anything like Ians it's the best money you'll ever spend on your CDI.......but if you get a power box and it screws your car up....you have been warned

J500ANT
21-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I had one on my forfour cdi, all it seemed to do is chuck fuel at the engine, judging by the smoke coming out of the back.

Ferrina
21-11-2009, 09:05 PM
As 2minits says, a proper map is best, although more expensive. At least you can remove it before you sell it again. I'm sure Ian can do you a deal to put one on and removal?

evilution
21-11-2009, 09:52 PM
most of these tuning boxes only fettle with the governor

These boxes are universal for common rail diesels, they just increase the injector pulse to add more fuel. Generally they do work but being a generic unit, they are nowhere near as good as a specific remap.

maggi200
21-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I agree with meshman actually, my dad's was fitted by the garage he got his van from and the box was made specifically for his vehicle, he has seen big gains in performance (for a massive motorhome) and fuel economy is amazing compared to before (from around 20 mpg to 30 mpg) and has seen no undesired side effects. However, I would also say a remap for a smart isn't very expensive anyway and is more specific to the individual needs of the engine and is always going to be the best option