PDA

View Full Version : cabrio information

Sarah
19-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I've decided that I want a fortwo cabrio but I dont know much about them apart from that I like them and I want one, sooooooooo just wanting to ask the people that have got them whats good about them, whats bad about them, anything I should look out for when buying one ect.... Obviously I'm going to test drive one but I'd like to know what its like actually living with one, and who best to ask than those who've got them and also those who havent got them im sure have got some valuable advice :D

Also anyone not like them at all and have actually got a good reason other than the fact that they just dont like them?

Kym1959
19-03-2005, 10:48 PM
yep we got one and if anything it is far quieter (roof wise) than the roadie, ours is quite an old one but goes like stonk - cant beat a Cab especially with summer coming - Im sure someone will be along with more technical info though ...............:D

oliver.whittaker
19-03-2005, 11:30 PM
compared to a normal coupe they arent really much different. the ride is the same, as is the whole steering set up. i would say the only 2 major things are the extra wind noise associated with the convertible top, and the reduced visibility again because of the convertible top.

in terms of physical size, the cabrio is a little bit wider in terms of the bodywork, and the boot space is reduced due to the roof and rollbar. In total the cabrio is only 10kg heavier than its coupe counter-part, which isnt alot considering all the extra bits added, like extra strengthening in the tridion safety cell etc.

In terms of leaks etc. most cabrios dont tend to leak, but if they do leak its usually bucket loads!

in terms of visibility, the rear window can become scuffed and scratched very easily, which reduces visibility even further, but there are polishes on the market to get rid alot of these scratches.

I think if i were to buy another normal smart car, it would definitely be a cabrio, albeit a mk4 or earlier car! (purely for the nice bright blue interior, oh and LHD)

Sarah
19-03-2005, 11:40 PM
careful there mr whittaker, u was almost helpful ;)

nikmc
20-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Hello

Ive had my 4 2 Cabrio since August and have had no probs whatsoever.:D

It has never leaked (even when i accidently soaked it with the jet wash at the garage):shock:

And there is nothing better than going topless when the sun is out. (If you can get one wi heated seats then it dont matter if it is cold as ur bum willbe nice n warm lol!!!:)

Esqulax
20-03-2005, 08:14 PM
My dad was looking at getting me a cabrio, although it would involve me SELLING my current smart :O
Scary stuff.

Sarah
20-03-2005, 09:55 PM
nikmc wrote:

And there is nothing better than going topless when the sun is out. (If you can get one wi heated seats then it dont matter if it is cold as ur bum will be nice n warm lol !!!:)

Yup thats why I wanted one, but i was thinking today that i'd miss the glass roof that my current smart has got, hmmmm and also the back 'window' being plastic would worry me

AndyM
21-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Go for it Sarah!I wish i had got one the 1st time!If you do go and get the heated Seats!Then you can have the roof down even on the coldest day!(BTW Its soo col in Germany,going for a Currywurst later today!!!!!!!!!)

nikmc
21-03-2005, 11:28 AM
there are a lot of stories about the interior light scuffing the window etc etc

doesnt matter how hard u try the window will get slight scratches/haze, but fortunately there are some really good products out there that can cure this.

go on,,, go for it.:D

Sarah
21-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Esqulax wrote:

My dad was looking at getting me a cabrio, although it would involve me SELLING my current smart :O
Scary stuff.

thats also another reason im thinking very carefully about it, i love my little car and all the things i've done to it, would be very sad to see it go and then have to start again with making the new car how i want it, hmmmm decisions decisions

NeilOs
21-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Yup, I'd love a cabby too. But like Sarah I'm a bit undecided. I've owned 4 cars before I got my smartie and this is the car I've had the most fun with and done the most to it. I'd be a bit gutted to get rid of it. You kinda get attached to the lckle cars, even if it is for another smarte.....:D

Sarah
21-03-2005, 09:43 PM
i've gotta great idea neil, how about we sell ur car and then buy a cabrio together and u have it for half of the year and i'll have my car and then i have it for the other half and u get my car, im thinking i could have it from may till october and u get it from november to may, sound fair to me hehehe ;) everyones a winner :P

NeilOs
21-03-2005, 09:47 PM
candypants wrote:
i've gotta great idea neil, how about we sell ur car and then buy a cabrio together and u have it for half of the year and i'll have my car and then i have it for the other half and u get my car, im thinking i could have it from may till october and u get it from november to may, sound fair to me hehehe ;) everyones a winner :P
LOL, I ain't driving a car with a pink stripe down it :P

Apart from that, what colour cabby? I vote for silver and phat red....:D

Oh, and could you wash and polish it everyweek?

Sarah
21-03-2005, 09:59 PM
NeilOs wrote:

[b][user=16]
LOL, I ain't driving a car with a pink stripe down it :P

Apart from that, what colour cabby? I vote for silver and phat red....:D

Oh, and could you wash and polish it everyweek?

hehe its only a little pink stripe and im sure u'd learn to love it.

has to be all black !

wash and polish? well thats ur job obviously :P

chuffer dandridge
21-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi chuffer here, I've my my cab for six months now and not had any cab related problems so far {touch wood } I have had a leak but I think that was my fault! the bootlid is a bit prone not to lock unless u close it both hands. the roof opens from the back as well and if u dont click it down properly leaves a gap for water to run in but other than that I've had great fun in it Roll On Summer!!!

NeilOs
21-03-2005, 10:04 PM
hehe its only a little pink stripe and im sure u'd learn to love it.

Oh, well that makes it a lot better then. Phhha, it's still pink....:P

Sarah
21-03-2005, 10:05 PM
well im sure u'd clean it and polish it too much and polish the pinkness away :P

NeilOs
21-03-2005, 10:10 PM
candypants wrote:
well im sure u'd clean it and polish it too much and polish the pinkness away :P

Yup.....:):D

AndyM
25-03-2005, 09:39 PM
NeilOs wrote:
candypants wrote:
polish the pinkness :P

Ooooooooooo Matron!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D