PDA

View Full Version : smart wont start, please help!!!

flat4matt
17-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Hiya I'm new on here so hi everyone!
im in desperate need of your help. ive got a for 2 04 plate. done just over 30k. Owned it for around 18months and over the last 3months have been having problems with it. Some times it wont turn on at all and displaying a one line on the dashboard with all the lights flashing. if you leave it for afew days it will sometimes start again. Ive noticed that it usually starts happening when it has rained. This time however it has been stood in the garage and have being firing it up often to make sure it does actually start and when ive come to start it, it has happened again, wont start and displaying 1 line on th dash. When it has been working, when i turn on the ignition, there has been a scraping/squeaking noise coming from the back of the car for about a second or 2(the gearbox i would assume??") ive been on evilution site and done all it says on there but with no luck. ive even taken the solenoid thing off the gearbox(the bolt bit that is supposed to go across into the gearbox itself) and cleaned and greased it up, still no luck. What do I do? Its just dead in the garage and am in desperate need of it to get to work etc.
Many thanks,
Matt

otisb
17-07-2010, 07:32 PM
well i know you have been on this site and the one line meens this: http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=164
have you checked all your relays and fuses?
as for the noise this is the norm. some one on here will help at some point
o and welcome to the world of smarts lol

pinger
17-07-2010, 07:54 PM
If we all agree it is an electrical fault and it has been noticed to occur with moisture...
My suggestion, is to check for moisture in the car (lift carpets) and check thoroughly all the earth cables. Then the relays, fuses, etc for corrosion and/or poor fit. At least until someone comes along with a better plan...
You will also have to have confidence in your battery and be careful that constant starting (or attempts) aren't starting to contribute to the problem.
Good earths are crucial though. Next suspect is wet SAM, etc. Somethings to do till someone tells you otherwise..

TAIM
17-07-2010, 09:19 PM
This time however it has been stood in the garage and have being firing it up often to make sure it does actually start

Well done - Quite a good way to trash the car battery :p and slowly kill the engine and zorst off

I'd be checking gear pos sensor (end of 'box) and replace your main engine earth strap as a precautionary measure.

Bolt bit that goes across the gearboxDo you mean the clutch actuator by any chance? :gather:

UKKid35
20-07-2010, 11:00 PM
As Meshman says, check the relay box under the passenger seat (I think, drivers seat on a LHD). I had to remove the seat to swap the unit which was surrounded by water logged carpet and badly corroded. The relays may be reusable, but the control box they sit in will probably need to be replaced.