PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Roof

Sarah
07-11-2004, 06:51 PM
someone just said something to me about the roof on for2's exploding, kinda worried about it now, anyone know anything more about this? sorry if this is an old issue, but im only a new smart driver :?

notts-smartie
07-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Mmm... "exploding".... perhaps the term used on Watchdog?

If you have a glass roof, like myself, you have to be aware that toughened glass shatters (into tiny, but harmless crystal-like peices rather than shards), unlike the windscreen, which is laminated and will just crack.

Anyone remember the old-style toughened glass windscreens? If a stone hit it, it would shatter.... or as some say... "explode".

If you look at the smartie's glass roof, you'll notice it has a curved section at the front of the car where it meets the windscreen. It's this curved part of the roof that's most vulnerable from being hit by a flying stone, which in some cases, if hit in the right place and hard enough, will cause the roof to shatter.

Smart have recognised this problem and will fit a 6(ish) inch strip of protective vinyl to the leading edge of your roof upon request - which they'll then charge you for!

The thing to remember is that they don't "explode" on their own, but as with everything, there's a risk to having a glass roof.... glass breaks. You can minimise the risk of it happening by having the strip fitted, but that's not going to eliminate the risk all together.

If your roof does go, then if you have windscreen cover on your insurance, they should replace the roof under that cover, although it may take time as most windscreen replacement Company's don't carry the roof in stock.

Enjoy your smartie and don't worry about the roof. :)

cheers,

D. :dude:

SuperStevie
07-11-2004, 07:11 PM
I hav heard something about this. Im ssure mk7's come with some protective layer on it to stuff stones

Im sue someone more knowledgable will come along and tell you more:)

notts-smartie
07-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Candypants, yep - Ste862 is correct....

I have a MK6, which doesn't have the protective strip. However, the newer MK7's onwards come with this already fitted.

SuperStevie
07-11-2004, 07:22 PM
See told you someone would come along, and they even got there before i managed to post!! hehe

Smartall
07-11-2004, 08:50 PM
The protective strip issue I'd never heard of until reading this post, but...and this is spooky!!....a friend of ours called round this morning in his Fortwo, and I noticed his car had the strip along the roof!!!!!!!(Cue the spooky music!!):shock::shock::?

SuperStevie
07-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Smartall wrote:
(Cue the spooky music!!):shock::shock::?
dum dum di dum DUM di dum di dum di dum!

Bloore
11-11-2004, 09:18 AM
can you get them from a main dealer to put on yourself ?

roadie2003
11-11-2004, 09:57 AM
not sure, but there's always thats aftermarket stuff that goes on like a window tint film, Its supposed to prevent breaking in by holding the glass in place should it ever be broken, so i suppose it does give a bit of extra strength where needed

Bloore
11-11-2004, 11:13 AM
dont think the roof is that much of a problem the amount of smarts that are now out there and on watchdog they only found about 6 people that it had ever happend to.

SuperStevie
11-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Think that if it were to happen it would be very scary! I know what it was like when a stone hit the van a few weeks ago, nearly wet myself! :shock:

Leomobile
12-11-2004, 06:03 PM
notts-smartie wrote:
Candypants, yep - Ste862 is correct....

I have a MK6, which doesn't have the protective strip. However, the newer MK7's onwards come with this already fitted.

the later mk6s have this also

Lennie
23-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Had 80% of my roof done in silverwhen Mick calls round I'll get him to take a pic and put it on the site, the idear is if it go's it should hold together.

notts-smartie
24-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Cool... :cool:

I was contemplating having a chequer-board pattern a-la mini roof, but think I'd miss the light it would block out. ...although I may still change my mind.

Look forward to seeing your piccy's.

cheers,

D.:dude:

roadie2003
24-11-2004, 09:32 AM
If you dont want to lose all the light, instead of straight forward vinyl, use a dark tint sheet and reflective silver sheets u can still see through :D:cool:

Lennie
24-11-2004, 10:44 PM
It's just the same light inside as any other car plus it makes my window tints a bit darker, this is not an easy job to do my graphics man took 3 go's at it and he would not do another one again, may be better to get the roof wraped instead ofusing vinyl.

AndyM
25-11-2004, 01:28 AM
Lennie wrote:
It's just the same light inside as any other car plus it makes my window tints a bit darker, this is not an easy job to do my graphics man took 3 go's at it and he would not do another one again, may be better to get the roof wraped instead ofusing vinyl.
he was using a few choice words to describe it to me Lennie!:D:D:D

Was it you we passed the other day in your Company Vehicle just before you turned off to Saddlebow??:D:D

Lennie
25-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Yep that was me but not in my motor, that one we call the shed.