PDA

View Full Version : Smelly heater

Julie T
27-11-2004, 06:21 PM
I've noticed a weird smell coming from Bertie's heating, at least it seems to be coming from the heating, smells a bit like TCP. It's always worse when I 1st switch the heating on. I know its not petrol, not washer fluid,I don't know what brake fluid smells like. I've moved my scenty ponger thing off the heating bit recentlyso that's probably been masking it.

AndyM
27-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Julie T wrote:
I've noticed a weird smell coming from Bertie's heating, at least it seems to be coming from the heating, smells a bit like TCP. It's always worse when I 1st switch the heating on. I know its not petrol, not washer fluid,I don't know what brake fluid smells like. I've moved my scenty ponger thing off the heating bit recentlyso that's probably been masking it.Do you have air con?If so it maybe some of the stuff they use to sanitise the system to kill all the Bugs that live in all A/C systems.:DI'd open the windies and have the heater on full heat and hi fan setting for a bit,see if that helps.it doesnt sound too terminal!:D:D

puresmartie
28-11-2004, 11:47 AM
My heaterssmell pretty badtoo :(I haven't got air con either. It's weird.....I'm confused :?

Maximillian
28-11-2004, 12:38 PM
You could have something caught in the filters. Especially in autumn.

Usually the air intake for the heater is with the windscreen wipers.. see if it's full of leaves or something. My astra used to get clogged up all the time and smell like a bonfire. Then it would choke and spit out a wad of leaves into your face while sitting at traffic lights, which was less amusing than it sounds

otisb
28-11-2004, 01:49 PM
last time i had abad smell some drunk pissed on the front of the car!!
and went down the air intake.
so i got the jet wash and put the end down the air in take,then after i opened the windows andputthe heater on full for ten minsthe smell went after that.

wankers :X

Julie T
28-11-2004, 05:22 PM
I don't have A/C. I did run the heating on full for quite some time today. I will have a look at the air intake though.

Smartall
28-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Julie, it could just be that the heater hasn't been used for a while, and its like when you switch a gas fire on for the first time after summer.....pongs a bit, then goes off.

Julie T
29-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Of course there is that. It did wear off a little bit today though, or I'm getting used to it.

puresmartie
29-11-2004, 08:11 PM
otisb wrote:
last time i had abad smell some drunk pissed on the front of the car!!
and went down the air intake.

I seriously hope that isn't the cause of my problem....lol

Julie T
30-11-2004, 12:05 AM
It has occurred to me that someone might try that one.

otisb
01-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Julie T wrote:
It has occurred to me that someone might try that one.

if it happens it will make you sick.

Julie T
03-12-2004, 12:19 AM
I hope the wind is blowing from behind my car then.

2for2cab
09-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Have you checked the level of your coolant recently?

A very small leak in the heater matrix can give some strange smells as the coolant dries. Then when you park up it often gets wet again due to small leak & starts all over again when you next move off. Have not checked what coolant smart are recommending but worth a look at the coolant level just in case !

You might also notice the inside of the window is misty in the morning now that the weather is cooling.

Just a thought but hope not!

Julie T
09-12-2004, 07:21 PM
The smell seems to have sorted itself out. It's not happening anymore. I think regular use of the heaters must have done it. My windows aren't misty on a morning as I keep the car in a garage. It's night time after a day in the car park where I have to demist!

2for2cab
17-01-2005, 09:18 PM
heavy breathing?

or fish and chips at lunch time-perhaps that is the smell!

Julie T
17-01-2005, 11:35 PM
No, I don't think so. I've not had any more problems with it. It could bedue to the fact the heaters are on pretty much all the time this weather!

puresmartie
18-01-2005, 08:07 PM
My heaters seem to have stopped smelling at the moment too! It does come and go though...weird :?