PDA

View Full Version : Curious

30-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Dear all,

This is a first-timer for me on this website. I am a frequent visitor of the Dutch smartforum though and, therefore, share an illness with all of you: smartism!

I was just curious ifsomeone could tell me the background story to the movie that can be downloaded elsewhere on this site? For starters, it rips my heart in two to see a some much cherished car be torn to pieces like that. But, I am alsoeager to find outwhy this crash testwas performed....
To show that a 4/2 can stand this stress orthe opposite?
What was the speed of the tiny dwarf when it ran into the barrier?
Etc. etc. etc.

Please, let me know.

Regards,
Marc Potma

Maximillian
30-11-2004, 06:25 PM
They wanted to see how the Fortwo would stand up to an extreme collision, more difficult than the usual ENCAP tests, because the Fortwo scores highly in ENCAP testing.

They drove it into the wall at 70mph to see what would happen. The passenger compartment didn't smash up, although the people inside would have still been probably fatally injured from the sudden deceleration, but you could still open the doors afterward, which is a massive achievement, since many other small... and even larger cars just pancake when they hit things at that kind of speed.

I'm still going to try and avoid crashing my car though :)

AndyM
30-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Potty wrote:
Dear all,

This is a first-timer for me on this website. I am a frequent visitor of the Dutch smartforum though and, therefore, share an illness with all of you: smartism!

I was just curious ifsomeone could tell me the background story to the movie that can be downloaded elsewhere on this site? For starters, it rips my heart in two to see a some much cherished car be torn to pieces like that. But, I am alsoeager to find outwhy this crash testwas performed....
To show that a 4/2 can stand this stress orthe opposite?
What was the speed of the tiny dwarf when it ran into the barrier?
Etc. etc. etc.

Please, let me know.

Regards,
Marc Potma
Hi Potty,welcome to Smartz!I cant really add to what Max has already said.Except that i think no matter what Car you drive,a deceleration from 70 to 0 mph in less than 1 second is fatal!:DUnless you have many yards of bonnet infront of you!

Smartall
30-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi Potty and welcome to Smartz. The others have said it all really. :?:D

30-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I found the previous link on this crash......

Agree that I would probably be muerte if I would this in my V70 as well.....

Thanks anyway.

SuperStevie
01-12-2004, 01:12 AM
what i found interesting was they crashed a corsa as well. slightly less intrustion than the smart (not surprising considering the bonnet lengths) but passengers wouldnt have faired any better than the smart.

One thing i would like to ask though is why use an old style corsa?? I know it got samrt ncap rating but sure a Ka which got the same would have been more approiate? starters its even more of a city car than a corsa, secondly it got same ncap rating and thirdly, and more importantly, the ka is still on sale today like the smart.Corsa was replaced4 years ago and it got 4 stars.

Just my thoughts

Maximillian
01-12-2004, 03:31 AM
I wouldn't over-analyse it if I were you. Fifth Gear are not exactly the pinnacle of journalism they pretend to be. A thinly veiled BMW advert more like.

"Lets race two cars... one has more than half as much again in it's top speed... and when it (obviously) gives the slower one an absolute drubbing we will pretend like we didn't set it up that way"

AndyM
01-12-2004, 09:20 PM
They should have done it with an Actios (or whatever the fake smart is called)and a ligier!That would be a bit fairer!:D:D:DNot to mention seeing all that fiberglass go spinning over the horizon!:D:DBut then can the Ligier and Actios actually get up to 70mph?????:P

roadie2003
01-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Dont forget that other tinyy thing called a Microcar

http://www.microcar.com/$gp/changeLang.do?language=en

Julie T
02-12-2004, 07:49 PM
No wonder they used Roadster against the Mini the other night. The Mini being a BMW product had to come out on top for them didn't it? I bet the majority of their salaries get paid by BMW. It was a very unfair test.