PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Cabriolet roadster into Coupe...

Maximillian
30-11-2005, 08:29 PM
I've been thinking these past few days... how hard can it be (assuming you can get the bits)

I'm thinking if you could get the mounting for the boot lid hinges into the tridion you shouldn't have any bother really... at the moment it's just a wandering thought, anyone got any ideas one way or the other?

MINTY
30-11-2005, 08:44 PM
need the coupe hinges, the glassback and the full panel set from a coupe.

(think the rear lamp might be different too??!?!)

smartarse a stripping a coupe that had a front end smash - still might have the rear panels and needed bits?

oliver.whittaker
30-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Its not as easy as it would appear. A much cheaper and easier way is to go to your local smart centre and trade in against a Roadster Coupe.

There is a lot more structure to the rear end of a coupe than a normal Roadster, especially around the quarter light windows.

messerschmitt owner
30-11-2005, 08:57 PM
agree with Oliver - totally different beasties - starts with the metal frames for the quarter windows, which are welded to the tridion, the different treatment around the trid directly behind driver, the screw holes needing drilled for the coupe hinges, the rear window of a roadie - it wouldn't be easy and would cost more than buying a coupe after selling your roadie - and not look as good.

Campbell

Sam
30-11-2005, 09:48 PM
yip mess i was talking bout this last night its probs more hassle than its worth

MINTY
01-12-2005, 08:42 AM
the rear window of a roadie

I'd quite like to do it and leave the window in and block the area up below the window so you could have the engine bay exposed a la v6 bi-turbo.

(couldn't do it with mine though due to a hard top)

Maximillian
02-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Ah hah. I hadn't had a close up look at a coupe, I didn't realise the rear quarterlight window frames were welded to the tridion... too much like hard work for not enough reward.

messerschmitt owner
02-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Ah hah. I hadn't had a close up look at a coupe, I didn't realise the rear quarterlight window frames were welded to the tridion... too much like hard work for not enough reward.

when you get a coupe serviced you have to remove the rear quarter windows so that you can get to the bolts that hold the rear panels on as well - supposedly quite easy but what a hassle!

I saw a coupe shell once and it really is quite different - I do like T7RSE's idea though - that would be cool.

Campbell