PDA

View Full Version : 598cc worth tuning?

davidclayton
01-12-2005, 10:10 AM
you can get cheap mods like remap/scoop/airfilter that really make a difference in a smart's performance, but what if you go the whole hog?
the 698cc mk7 g2's can get up to just over 100bhp, but how far can the smaller 598cc get to?

i suppose the methods used to get there would be a huge turbo, viper kit, exhaust, brabus induction jobbie, remap, etc.
has anyone maxxed out a 598cc? and if so, what were the results?

dave

Puddlejumper
01-12-2005, 11:45 AM
dont kill it !!! :(

smart_turbo
04-09-2006, 06:48 PM
That's true, where and who can i try to get my 599cc top wack performance? Shall i go for a bigger turbo? help? im in london, who is the nearest and best? cheers

WellSmart
04-09-2006, 07:49 PM
That's true, where and who can i try to get my 599cc top wack performance? Shall i go for a bigger turbo? help? im in london, who is the nearest and best? cheers

I would say Ian at Big Performance is the "main-man" regarding top wack performance from 599cc and 798cc smart's (but I understand he is (understandably) quite busy at present)!

We're just playing around with a 599cc one at the mo! I wouldn't quite describe it as "top-wack" but we're expecting it to be quite-quick! I will say that we have used a standard turbo (a lost opportunity perhaps???) but have "tweaked" the engine a little!

Should be ready in a couple of days so will let you know!

Big Performance
05-09-2006, 09:52 AM
167bhp is the best so far:shock:

smart_turbo
05-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Hi Paul/Kate its Rav. can you please give me a ring???? needing some advise???? Ian cant do my car till mid October..... ive got smart technique near me, but id prefer either ian or yourselfs.....
Thanks

Sam
05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
well i am sure if you made it to smartzstock either ian or kate will be there

smart_turbo
05-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Unfortuatly, Smartstock is toooooooooooooo far for me to go!!! would love to though!!!!!
Im just getting on the smart scene...

Sam
05-09-2006, 12:21 PM
well you will miss out, we are not all mental or owt...much

but its a good way to meet the tuners and other owners instead of 10 mins in a car park and it means you get this sorted asap and maybe save money as i am sure its classed as a group meet

smart_turbo
05-09-2006, 12:34 PM
just been speaking to a few people regarding the tuning of my smart. As its a 600cc they recommend that i stick to a original turbo and a re-map!!! it this good? changing the turbo to a bigger one means changing of the exhaust, pipes etc and then maybe more problems later? im now completly confused in this area???? my heart was set on a bigger turbo from ian!!!!
at the end of the day it all comes down to the cost? i want something very nippy and reliable too!! any sugestions???? thanks again.

Sam
05-09-2006, 12:37 PM
rubbish they have told you mate, yes you will need more parts to go wi the turbo, BUT the 599cc manifold seems to be the worst one and the new ones have meant to be harder wearing

what to do, is...get in the car on sat come to smartzstock and speak to the owners / ian / kate and they will set you right

ps can you tell i am trying to get you to go???

WellSmart
05-09-2006, 10:52 PM
The early 599cc manifolds are pants! We always fit the reinforced manifold version on any replacement turbo which is similar in design to the new 698cc manifold in that it has a greater mass of casting across the back wall. This reduces the chance of cracking again although does not eliminate the problem altogether (the 698cc's have also been known to crack).

As for fitting a bigger turbo, I'm not convinced it's beneficial on a Smart???
My view is that the Smart turbo as it is is small enough to spin-up really quickly to avoid any turbo lag. Fitting a bigger turbo will take longer to spin-up to speed and hence create more lag and a slower gearchange thus negating any benefits of fitting the bigger turbo in the first place! Of course that depends on where you are looking to gain these benefits! I think for most, we are wanting more umph at the lights (for irritating those BMW and Corsa drivers) and a nice mid-range kick for overtaking those same twollops! But if you are looking for the fastest Smart on Earth that'll cruise at one hundred and something miles per hour and produce the biggest bhp figures known to man then the biggest turbo that you can fit to the manifold is what you are looking for! Yes, maybe trying to fit a Roadster-sized turbo to a little 599cc is a good idea but any bigger, I say save your money and spend it on more alcohol at Smartzstock! :D BTW, mines a pint or three! Sam, I hope you're ready to keep up?! We'll bring the Scrumpy! :cool:

Paul

ps there is no dig intended or implied at anyone or anything it's just my thoughts for the evening after a few glasses of the coma-inducing fluids!!!
See ya all at Smartzstock :D

smart_turbo
06-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks alot guys for all the info and advise. I really wanna come down now...i know im gonna miss a great weekend at smartstock.. oh and the booze!!!! maybe next time... pitty there is nothing in on way's????
i also got a call from Howard at smartechnique saying he has a garret turbo.. any good anyone???
But thinking about all this turbo nonsense has really, really confused the hell out of me!!! i just want my smart to be quick of the lights how paul said....i think im gonna stick to a standard turbo and get the re-map from paul when he comes down one day!!!! (hint hint paul!!!!!)
hope all of you guys have a lovely weekend at smartstock and i hope the weather is great for all of you too...

lil.smartie
06-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Std Smart turbo's are Garret ones, would need more info to know if it's what you are looking for! Also it's false economy to buy a used one as we have pulled some apart and found inside cracks that can't be seen from the outside!

Sure we will be about soon!

Kate

smart_turbo
06-09-2006, 10:35 AM
thanks for that kate, im going down to smartechnique this afternoon. I will check this out and let you know the exact model etc etc....all he said to me was that he had a customer who had a bigger turbo (Garrett) who cars had beed written off, so he has a turbo available...i just need to pop down there to see if it will fit my car. Also kate he did mention that the exhaust will have to be changed/modified in order for the turbo to fit (something to do with the bore size) so im pretty sure it's not a standard one!!!???!!