PDA

View Full Version : Smart Vin # where are they?

Mark Cummins
16-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Right...went to look at a 99 Smart for two for a friend...Didnt see a Vin # or Sticker at the Engine Compartment..Mine has one..Then Looked for the Stamped Number on the floor..Didnt see it... removed the front right seat and removed the carpet nothing..Does Anyone know where else to look for the stamped Number so I Know the Paper work on this Smart is good..so My friend does not buy a stolen Smart...

Gut feeling this Smart is Stolen

16-12-2005, 07:55 PM
It shows it under the lid of the engine compartment in my manual. It should be marked into the vehicle permanently. Look for some grinding marks or repainting under the lid if you think it's stolen.

David

Mark Cummins
16-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Thank You for the reply...It Looks like this Smartie is Stolen..No Numbers anywhere

messerschmitt owner
17-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Mark - did you look at it in the USA - in which case it probably isn't stolen but some sort of import (kit car) where they've removed the vin to get it into the country or called it a kit car or whatever.

It could also be a reshelled one (no vins on them unless stamped on by the rebuilder). Why not look at some of the plastic components and look at the build date of them and see if they match with the 99 or even 98 build date. If they're later I'd think the car has either been reshelled or it is well dodgy.

Or maybe even the vin number is somewhere totally different on a 99 model - that is quite early after all.

Check what the paperwork says and I know in the UK one can always HPI check it - you must be able to check it in the us too using a similar method.

And finally, why not check the engine number out.

Hope this helps

Campbell

Mark Cummins
17-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Thank You for the reply!

TAIM
20-12-2005, 02:43 PM
the chassis number is metal stamped into the opposite side (front) to the sticky label in the engine compartment recess.
Remove the lid and then push back or partially lift the front of the carpet.(where the carpet is hinged)

You don't need to remove the lid really though.

One of the stamped chassis numbers is just to the right of the right engine door hinge (offside for rhd). (if you don't lift the carpet you can't see it)

There is another number that's stamped into the door recess at the rear is the reverse date code for around the time the bodyshell was commisioned (031217 would be 17th dec 2003)