I would like at least a twin tone but as I am from SAUL there is
a series of problems starting with getting the grille out
Has anyone done a forfour horn mod
if so in janet and john language instructions please
this sounds like a keith project
mike a

K12THH
08-12-2004, 01:15 PM
If you can wait until Thursday Forsaulfouri will be looking at the screens again and will have a lookintothat for you.

Keith

forsaulfour
08-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Keith:
whenever its an onging idea which (a) I have to find how it can be done
then (b) find a suitable pair of horns that will fit and sound pleasant
mike

lil.smartie
13-12-2004, 10:38 AM
That horn is shocking, worse than my fortwo one! and that gets ridiculed! Dave will do doubt be adding air horns very soon!! Maybe after he gets the Sat Nav playing DVD's!!

Kate

phildperv
14-12-2004, 01:48 AM
This is on my list of things to do to my fourtwo , now can anyone tell me why the horn on these smarts are so pathetic ?

I mean is there some EEC regulation that states that small cars should be made to be more vunerable by having horns that are quieter than a butterfly fart ?

When I use my horn its cos I want to be heard , it may be that a half a sleep truck driver is careerering over into the same lane that I am in ..... I mean he could never hear me over the dulcet tones of Terry Wogan on the radio let alone over the sound of his 156 liter diesil super charged monster engine.

This at times is our only form or letting people know we are there , so I want as many decibles as I can get , I dont want to worry about disturbing theafternoon napof some Swedish , tree eating , animal fondling , log cabin dewling , tandem owner some thousand or so miles away .

Or is it just me ???

Matt
14-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Guys well

I was at L2B and heard a rather funny Star Trek theme Horn set on a Fortwo. I do think that the 4-4 is on a par for useless horn mind. I think if ytou were translating the horn sound it would equal = I am a big wet lettace, I am upset with you but don't hurt me

forsaulfour
14-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Has anyone yet got the grille of a forfour please once I can master that hurdle then horns are a doddle (subject to enough room) US or Uk train Horns?? Boat horns??
mike

K12THH
14-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Sorry Mike i should of done it by now, i have been busy everynight doing other folks cars,

I will get onto it ASAP

Keith

lil.smartie
14-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Dave had a look last night we think it's the same as the fortwo's grill, ie a few plastic clips, flat blade screwdriver to lever them out of the way and pulls off easy!

Kate

forsaulfour
14-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks Kate
I have given Dave enough problems
mike

forsaulfour
14-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Sorry Keith
Did not mean to hassle you
but once I see the space then I might see which most gigantic horn Will fit
mike

K12THH
14-12-2004, 06:24 PM
No hassle Mike

I've got a heap of things to do to both our cars but the paying customer always has to come first, so my wife says (Hope she doesn't read this)

I will be doing a couple of jobs on the4 4 tomorrow, unless i get more work in, so i will post my findings, (I Hope)

Keith

forsaulfour
14-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Further forward
Yes the silver part of the grille comes out with a flat blade gently (dont mark the paint). The black inner part comes away by gently squeezing the back of the verticals away from the metalwork. Sharp metal edges everywhere.

The horn will not budge and has a ??? type bolt the socket for which is only in Tibet. But the cable connectors are spring retained and come away nicely giving you a connection point.

So tomorrow cable connectors, relay and get that bit working and fit the relay where it can be reached and put the grille back on.....
to be continued....

K12THH
15-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Well done Mike

good luck with the horn fitting, keep us up-dated

Keith

forsaulfour
15-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Doing fine
I have put in a wiring loom from the horn connectors to the engine bay then back to the existing horn and replaced the grilles.
This gives me a nice loop of twin cable where it can be got at. The existing horn still works but as soon as I source a nice new pair of horns I can comfortably cut the loom, leave the dead end to the old horn and wire the live end to the relay of the new horns. The rest is History.
Thanks to those who have helped with this BARRPH BARRPH (Mellow and loud)

Esqulax
17-12-2004, 02:29 PM
What was that? you want an..
AWOOOOOOOOoOOOOOGAAAAAAAAA

roadie2003
17-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Oi! John fashinu, not in ere thanx :P:P:P

lil.smartie
17-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Doing all this has prompted Dave to email the poor girl who now has his old Smart city, and kindly inform her that his old Klaxon should still be inside the front of the car and can be easily plugged back in!

I think it is Essex way so keep your ears well defended!

Kate

forsaulfour
17-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Not so simple after all. Bought a pair of fiamm twin tone horns just for their small size and there was plenty of space behind the grilles to fit them but BUT what a sod to fix. There are two lovely 10mm holes in the front crossmember but they are blind and to get 10mm blind bolts around here is not on. Then I tried a hole in the upstand and blunted two drills so plan C was a clamp bracket on to the upstand of the crossmember and that worked. What is useful is the battery terminals have a 6mm treaded extension so ring terminals may easily be added making he wiring quite neat