PDA

View Full Version : Finally got Sat Nav

Matt
06-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Well I finally got sat nav sorted out and am very happy. No thanks to MB but all down to my wonderful girlfriend our very own webmistress.

She bought for us both the Tom Tom Go, which is fantastic all in one Sat Nav unit, it works off a SD memory card with the maps on there and it has a cradle with built in aerial which you can attach into the car and then take out. The beauty of the unit is that if you get two cradles you can merely pick it up out of one car and then dock iit into another. I have been blown away at just how good the unit is and like the fact it doesn't require any hard wiring. When i get home I just detach it from the cradle and put it in its carry case, so that it can sleep safe and secure in the house.

Now for the really good bit. By programming in a little bit of software i now have full speed camera information so that as i am driving it shows where spped traps are. Now i am nothaving much luck with computers at the moment but the unit works great. I will try and get some for when the auction site is up and running and pre-mod them so that speed camera information is then installed onto the maps.

So MB see, you lost out on £1500 of my business by being totally inflexible.

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/img/prodimages/go_04.jpg

webmistress
06-01-2005, 02:43 PM
What Matt has failed to tell you that when you get one of these little machines you seem to lose all ability to navigate anywhere....even when you know where to go! As has been proved by Matt driving to work on Tuesday, a journey he has been doing for a long time. He followed the sat nav directions only to find himself on the M6 toll road with no means of payment! Wally.

But apart from that it is quite groovy....yes i am a wonderful girlfriend.

Lisa x

Matt
06-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Take no notice of her....

Yes it does become the norm to use it for everywhere but its great to find little short cuts to shrink down your journey time. I did go on the toll road, but just so i could compare my travel time, and i did have money on me....cause i go in her purse in the morning for my lunch money!;)

She is a wonderful girlfriend mind...and it was one of the best present I have ever had bought for me...

Love you X

lil.smartie
06-01-2005, 03:17 PM
well she was wonderful till she told us all about your driving antics!

Although I must admit Dave does the same, only ours seems to be set on the muddiest and narrowest route at the moment! Wherever we try to go it finds a narrow muddy road that has a 'road liable to flooding' sign on it! still good fun though, waiting for the novelty factor to wear off now!

Kate

SuperStevie
06-01-2005, 05:47 PM
in work, we have a PDA with the tomtom software loaded (all for about 370inc VAT Delivery car charger and cradle)and its brilliant! I dont use it often, only when i go down south.

I will say though that because you are using it as guidance, you pay no attention to whats about you, so you have no idea where you havebeen /are / heading. But at least the man (we changed the voice to a sexy man :D) knows where he is hehe

Oh, and it doesnt like the toll road, its not in his memory:X

forsaulfour
06-01-2005, 08:46 PM
This GPS thing? is that what I paid smart £1500 for six weeks ago and got a fixed map of Bobingen (Germany)

oliver.whittaker
07-01-2005, 01:40 AM
I got GPS sat nav for my car a few weeks ago, and i have to say its a fantastic piece of kit, certainly makes finding places easy. I got the Navman ICN510, which is quite small and easily pocketable, great for when you have to carry it around with you when leaving your car somewhere. i cant wait to properly stretch its legs in the spring/summer!

Maximillian
07-01-2005, 04:12 AM
I'm sorry but Tomtom go is the worst name for a sat nav system in the history of the universe.

That said I can't wait to get one. it's next of my list of things that are next to buy.

After some more speakers, a new ipod, an xbox and a projector.

Esqulax
07-01-2005, 05:31 PM
oooh oohh I got one of these!!!
I got it for xmas!!!
Its Wickid! Especially whilst delivering pizzas!!

Matt
07-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Hiya

Would you like the little hack to get the speed cameras on there?

Esqulax
07-01-2005, 05:53 PM
done and dusted baby!
Its not so much a "Hack" More a software update.
I was a little annoyed at that, as i thought, having it brand new it would have it, but alas, the update is dated september!
Ah well, works great and MOOOOOOOOOO's When im near a gatso!!!

Matt
07-01-2005, 06:06 PM
see my udpate is Dec the 28th and it covers every camera going...but its makes not sound..

bummer!56:@

Esqulax
08-01-2005, 01:00 AM
From what i found out...
You have to update the tomtom software, wich is dated september, and the gatso one was updated december.

To make it moo, or cuckoo
You go into prefs, POI managment, Select Gatsos, and set the distance (About 250 is good) and slect sound!!

Matt
08-01-2005, 11:36 AM
You are a legend...

Merci

q:-

Esqulax
09-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Im still learning it dude...
Did you know that it takes you TO THE DOOR, most of the time!!
As in when it says that ive reached the destination, if the house isnt next to me, its one either side.
I Love it!
But as plymouth is desolate, im gonna need the extra "Active antenna" for it, as it loses signa quite often

33q33q
20-01-2005, 07:42 PM
I've ordered mine today.............

£395 from Dixons

Matt
20-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi Nigel,

When you have it I will sort out getting the camera information on for you, I have all mine backed up so theres no risk and it is a real life saver on unfamiliar journeys.

33q33q
20-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks Matt

Sam
23-01-2005, 06:57 PM
in work, we have a PDA with the tomtom software loaded (all for about 370inc VAT Delivery car charger and cradle)and its brilliant! I dont use it often, only when i go down south.

haha u cant navigate when going down!!!;)

AndyM
23-01-2005, 10:07 PM
I have never really been interested in SatNav,however now i have seen this wee Beauty i am very tempted.The other maps are a bit expensive though!also can you get larger memory cards?:D:D:D

Matt
23-01-2005, 10:09 PM
The answer is yes and yes.......plus I a have a contacted through NGT who thinks he will be ale to get them for about £350.00 so if your intetrested PM me!

33q33q
25-01-2005, 11:14 PM
mine arrived today..................

well impressed

Smartarse70
26-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I use Trafficmaster's SmartNav, unlike other Nav's, Trafficmasters system knows the traffic conditions ahead of you and can divert you round problems, dead easy to use and loads of additional features.

Not that expensive either :-)

contact me for more detail (ps i sell em)

Matt
26-01-2005, 10:36 PM
I looked at these sytems also but found the Tom Tom go to be for me the best bet. It was just simple to install and i didn't want the idea of cables going everywhere. I treated myself to a screen film protector and a nice black case surround to tie it in with the rest of my 4-4.

forsaulfour
29-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Smart Multimedia navigator working at last.... nine weeks after taking delivery and paying for the multi media navigator it is working and what a poor system it is with an old disc and half the functions disabled. No handbook for the WAP. The Bluetooth unavailable and only numeric postcode entry??. My advice to anyone considering the full works is there has to be many better ways at a fraction of the cost.

Esqulax
02-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Real pity :(
Tom tom go is quite good, as mentioned, but id always get aftermarket stuff, as then it can be what I want, not a generic update, such as stereos and stuff

Matt
02-02-2005, 08:43 AM
That is a real pity about the Smart navigation system. Again it seems like Smart have done us a dis-serivce offering a slimed down version of the same head unit use din all the other mercs at the same cost....nice...its like the lounge concept con really.

I really wanted th inbuilt sat nav mainly becaus ei was tempted by all the great listed features though I read soem German forums and found out that many of the listed abilities did not work and then to add insult to injury had no documentation.

it might be worth contacting Becker the maker of the said unit for a information on the unit.

But a big thumbs down.....

lil.smartie
02-02-2005, 05:39 PM
This slimed down version is exactly the same as fitted to the c class and new a class among others! not just designed for smarts.
Kate

Matt
02-02-2005, 06:06 PM
When I say slimmed down, I didn't mean to cuase any offence..what I mean't was cosmetically it is very similar to the E-class and S-class systems, and I am sure option wise there roughly the same price. It seems like once again Smart make promises such as it does this or that and then fails to deliver.

Looking back now I am pleased I didn't go to the expense...though I tell yo guys what...I'd love to have a play in Keith's....mmmmm multi-function steering wheel........telephone kit..........

Christ dribbled on the keyboard then!

AndyM
02-02-2005, 09:52 PM
smartz wrote:

I seem to remember that there were some Smart Branded Bibs for sale on Ebay,if this is a reocurring problem Matt!:D:D:D

K12THH
03-02-2005, 09:49 AM
smartz wrote:

Looking back now I am pleased I didn't go to the expense...though I tell yo guys what...I'd love to have a play in Keith's....mmmmm multi-function steering wheel........telephone kit..........

I wouldn't mind a play with it aswell, i have not been in the car for 2 weeks.

I'm only allowed to wash it, and even then she keeps the keys

Keith

Smartall
03-02-2005, 08:57 PM
K12THH wrote:
I wouldn't mind a play with it aswell, i have not been in the car for 2 weeks.

I'm only allowed to wash it, and even then she keeps the keys

Keith

He he......sounds familiar Keith!!, very familiar...!!:?

MATT...............WHERE ARE THE FORFOUR EMOTICONS??????!!, (at least I'd get chance to play with THEM!!)

forsaulfour
04-02-2005, 03:12 PM
I emailed Becker to see if I could get a proper handbook for their Multi (sorry single Media ) Navigator but they replied they had a commercial confidentiality agreement with DC not to talk to their customers. So back to hacking