PDA

View Full Version : The Missing Manual

forsaulfour
30-01-2005, 07:23 AM
The reason I bought a multimedia navigator was because it had WAP access but there is no mention of this in the handbook. No separate handbook, no set up guide, No portal from any emulator. But I believe in Unicorns because I have just paid a lot of money for one. Does anyone have any details at all about the set up please.

lil.smartie
30-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Do you not have the bible sized tome that is the Navigator manual? We have one, will have a look see later if you don't have it!
Kate

forsaulfour
30-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Kate: Thanks for that yes we do have the multimedia handbook but not a word about internet access can I find. Dave's the man for this but I will ring Smart tomorrow and ask them.
mike

Maximillian
31-01-2005, 03:10 AM
I think something along the lines of this has been posted before.

To get WAP access anyway you're going to need a phone (or at least a GSM transmitter) and a sim card, and an account with a mobile phone provider.

What they should make is a car with UMTS band phone built in. That's almost broadband speed, and you can get the 3G coverage in lots of places now. :cool:

forsaulfour
31-01-2005, 08:52 AM
The phone is in the car and working, the SMS works with texts writ large to the display and I have put URL's in the address book but cannot get the set to do anything with them. In reality there is no need for a phone in the car a sim slot would do but smart aint that smart. For DCUK to sell expensive kit without any handbook is as per norm. The problem I think is getting to an Internet provider.

Badger
31-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Mike, have you set your phone up to access the internet? If you cant get to web sites using your phone you wont get access through the Comand system. Which network provider do you use?

forsaulfour
31-01-2005, 07:23 PM
The Phone in my hand will access the wap sites such as news, sport etc as homepage for the supplier so am happy with that and will go to other sites on demand...so far so good.. put the phone in the cradle and then I am beat as I press the TEL Button I have three soft keys Directory, Call and Redial... end of road.....

Whilst I have your wise counsel another problem is entering Post Codes in the Address Book as I do not have the Keyboard key appear so can only enter numbers.. This means the navigator will not go to an address for which you only have the post code.
Kind Rgards
mike

Badger
31-01-2005, 07:41 PM
I found that as well, but if you enter in the post code in the NAV screen as if you want to go to that place now, then save it as a location it will appear in the address book correctly.

I think it only wants a german postcode and doesnt recognise the UK format. Bit of a bug.....

Dave