PDA

View Full Version : H-E-L-P!!!!!

Smartall
05-02-2005, 06:59 PM
HELP ME PLEEEEEEZE!!

I know you lot are going to give me a hard time for this but....I was washing the cars today and decided to check the tyre pressures, but couldn't remove the valve caps from my smartie!!...why???...because they are freebies from a car mag..(magnesium I think!!)..and they are stuck..SOLID!!!!

Please help....does anyone have any SENSIBLE suggestions pleeez??????:(

Sam
05-02-2005, 07:30 PM
soak them wi wd40 overnite???

Sam
05-02-2005, 07:30 PM
or heat them up??;)

AndyM
05-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Liberal dose of 3 in 1 Oil should do the trick!:D(do they still make it????):D

evilution
05-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Believe me they won't be magnesium, they are the cheap crap aluminium ones.

If you read on the packet it will say lightly grease the thread before using as they can sieze.

Get 2 pairs of pliars and a lighter.

Heat the caps up and twist them off while holding the rubber neck to stop it from spinning.

Smartall
05-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanx Folx..I'll give thesea try tomorrow

AndyM
05-02-2005, 11:07 PM
If they are Magnesium,they might not take to a naked flame!Remember your school chemistry lesson with strips of Magnesium and a bunsen!It would solve the problem!:D:D:D:D

Smartall
07-02-2005, 01:19 PM
AndyM wrote:

If they are Magnesium,they might not take to a naked flame!Remember your school chemistry lesson with strips of Magnesium and a bunsen!It would solve the problem!:D:D:D:D
Mmmmm, due to the nature of my job..Fire Instructor, and my previous job...Firefighter....I had thought about the magnesium / flame scenario..HONEST, but if it hadn't been for the close proximity to my alloys / car, then it would've been worth the resulting reaction just to get rid of the damn caps!!
As an update, a Dremel -type drill / cutting disc, saved the day in the end...bloody useless dustcaps!!

evilution
07-02-2005, 01:23 PM
You would never ignite magnesium with a standard lighter.
Good you got them off, don't do it again.

Smartall
07-02-2005, 05:07 PM
evilution wrote:

You would never ignite magnesium with a standard lighter.
Yeah....but I was almost swayed by an oxy-acetylene cutter..????!!!!

Good you got them off, don't do it again.
OK, slapped wrists duly issued...ouch!!;)

AndyM
07-02-2005, 08:03 PM
See! give a fireman the choice between a Flamethrower and a match,you just know which he is gonna go for!!!!:D:D:D

Its like asking Schumacher to make a choice between a 2CV and a Ferrari!

Smartall
07-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Yeah...!!!, and in this job I get PAID to light fires!!!!!:cool::cool::cool: