PDA

View Full Version : Touring Europe Advice Please!!!

Highoctanesprouts
13-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Ok, so road trip 2007 in the 53 plate, Black Scratch Coupe was brilliant! Packed up to the gunnel's and it took me and my friend all over and we both loved it......:cool:

SO.....

Road Trip 2007 - EUROPE! :smartbs:

I have a 52 plate Jack Black Cabrio now; and I am feeling adventurous! :shock:

I have never driven round Europe and would really REALLY appreciate anyone's advice, stories, experiences, pictures.... anything really, so I can start to plan and get in the mood. I am planning on going the 1st 2 weeks of September. Not that long for "travelling" but its all I can afford to take off work as paid holiday! :D

LucidSmart2005
14-07-2008, 08:36 AM
We went down to Salzburg for smarttimes 2006 and on into Innsbruck.

It was a great trip, and didn't seem like a long drive at the time !! On the way down, we were with thesmartclub group which was an easy way of getting into driving on the wrong side of the road, and their road book had everything you needed to get to the next checkpoint.

After Salzburg, we were on our own, but was nothing to worry about. The only thing that did go a bit wrong was the TOMTOM trying to send us down the wrong way of a Dual Carriageway in Austria. Good job the no-entry sign is the same there as in the UK !! The lower speed limit in Europe is also an excellent time to see if your smart can really do 60MPG ... Mine can !!! (Has never done it since though !!)

We've not done a long trip in the smart since, however am planning on going into europe again next year, perhaps to the South of France, or maybe a bit further ?? Who knows. Actually, I quite fancy going back to smarttimes 2009 !!

Pics : HERE (http://web.mac.com/damian.coombes/iWeb/Site/Smart%20times%202006%20Part%201.html)

Have a great time, the smart is perfectly able to fit all the stuff you need for a holiday in the back, with the roof down..

Lucid ;o)

smartypantz
14-07-2008, 11:05 PM
the smart is perfectly able to fit all the stuff you need for a holiday in the back
Agreed!

We are currently on tour round Wales with a huge suitcase (long story! don't ask :rolleyes:) and Mrs PantZ still sees spaces to fill with more stuff to buy ! :D

You might want to consider stickers for the lenses. There was a recent post about where said stickers should be placed.

Let us know how yer trip goes, once your underway.

cloggsy
29-07-2008, 10:03 PM
You might want to consider stickers for the lenses.

What? In Wales? :D

smartypantz
30-07-2008, 01:27 AM
What? In Wales? :D
LOL! Yeh might have mixed yer contexts there cloggsy! :D

Puddlejumper
30-07-2008, 12:52 PM
We are doing a trip from London 2 Berlin in October this year....theres about 30 ish people going :)

Organising anything like that is major work but getting on the trip & enjoying to time in your smart is well worth the work :D

thekidneykid
30-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Is it expensive going on these trips or do you use your the big numbers to push hotels to provided bulk discount on rooms?

Puddlejumper
31-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Is it expensive going on these trips or do you use your the big numbers to push hotels to provided bulk discount on rooms?

Well when originally booking our trip we wanted to use German Youth Hostels but found they were all booked up...so we found a cheap ish hotel on a search engine & booked up lol....these trips can be as cheap (within reason) or as expensive as you wanna make them! The only real cost would be food & petrol! :)

AndyM
31-07-2008, 06:54 PM
take time and ,ook at the AA or RAC websites for local laws and regulations for the country you are visiting,you may need to carry certain safety equipment for certain countries and if you are stopped and dont have it then stand by....................

daveandchrisuk
01-08-2008, 08:14 AM
if you are going through france or belgium there is a really cheap basic hotel group called formula 1 - they tend to be out of town near motorways but very cheap.

was looking at taking my smart to belgium - we go about 2 or 3 weeks a year to a holiday park chain called sunparks (bit like centerparcs - now owned by them but much much cheaper) - only thing i was unsure of is where do i mount the headlight beam deflector stickers?

on my partners car there is a mark on the headlight casing which fits the stickers so is easy to find but what about the smart? also not being a flat headlight, how easy is it to fit or do i need special ones?

chuffer dandridge
01-08-2008, 08:55 AM
A common cause of accidents in europe is having a break, Imagine the scene you're driving along a quiet country road and you see a layby on the other side of the road, you stop for the necessary break, when thoroughly refreshed you continue your journey, unfortunately you carry on driving on the left hand side of the road!!! Imagine the consequences!!! I know this sound silly but a friend of mine had both his parents killed in just this manner

LucidSmart2005
01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
A common cause of accidents in europe is having a break, Imagine the scene you're driving along a quiet country road and you see a layby on the other side of the road, you stop for the necessary break, when thoroughly refreshed you continue your journey, unfortunately you carry on driving on the left hand side of the road!!! Imagine the consequences!!! I know this sound silly but a friend of mine had both his parents killed in just this manner

Quite Agree, it's quite easy to forget. I put a label on my airbag to remind me.. It amused all the other euro smart drivers I met though !!

Don't let this put you off a trip away in the smart ... I really enjoy holidaying in mine !!

Lucid ;o)

chuffer dandridge
01-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Something to watch out for in France are traffic lights, they are incredibly dim, sometimes it's very difficult to see what colours showing if it's a sunny day

thekidneykid
01-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Bonjour!

Its not the traffic lights you want to watch....... its the French, their driving is simply awful! LOL

And its not just car drivers you need to watch...its mopeds and the general public who will launch themselves off the pavement in front of you and expect you to stop!!!

Once you get over the shock after a few jars! Its a great place to visit and a country full of smarts!!!

au revoir!

chuffer dandridge
01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Bonjour!

Its not the traffic lights you want to watch....... its the French, their driving is simply awful! LOL
To a certain extent yes, they are a bit unpredicable at times but their lane discipline on autoroutes is far better than the Brits!! On the spot fine for lane hogging!:eek: