PDA

View Full Version : Drivers side window not working

guy500
27-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi
Ive recently bought a 2003 smart roadster and love it, but the drivers side electric window has stopped working.
I have taken the door to bits and the cable that works the window has got itself all tangled up.
I rang local smart dealer and they say i have to buy the full mechanism including motor!!
Can any one offer some advice if I can just buy a regulator or recommend a parts supplier that is more competative on price.
Many thanks.

Guy

sir henry rawlinson
27-11-2008, 05:05 PM
i have been watching the forum now for a few months and cannot belive the amount of things that have gone wrong on a smart !!!!! its UNBELIEVABLE,
i may look for a 1980 lada now on ebay it will probably be a better bet than a smart ???????

toodle pip

tolsen
27-11-2008, 06:21 PM
i have been watching the forum now for a few months and cannot belive the amount of things that have gone wrong on a smart !!!!! its UNBELIEVABLE,
i may look for a 1980 lada now on ebay it will probably be a better bet than a smart ???????

toodle pip
Smarts are pretty reliable - go to the UK Renault forum for an eye opener or maybe eye closer! Turbos, gearboxes, clutches etc etc keeps failing on low mileage Renaults.

Regarding the electric window mechanism, I am sure you can replace the steel wire cable. A bicycle brake wire might just be the right size.

guy500
27-11-2008, 06:28 PM
does anyone know if it is possible just to buy the cable? smart main dealer saying comes part of a complete kit including the motor, which dont need.
If so has anyone tackled this job and jot any tips?

tolsen
27-11-2008, 07:23 PM
I changed the wire cable on my old MB250T (Merc) which had a similar mechanism. Replacing the wire is no rocket science.

BlackDog
27-11-2008, 08:45 PM
does anyone know if it is possible just to buy the cable? smart main dealer saying comes part of a complete kit including the motor, which dont need.
If so has anyone tackled this job and jot any tips?

I've done a fortwo and you can just buy the bowden cable.

EDIT Just had a look at the EPC and it does appear to be a single combination part from smart.

guy500
28-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Does any one have any ideas where i may be able to buy the complete window mechanism apart from a smart main dealer (which it looks like im going to have to buy as the regulator is not available seperate). Smart have quoted 173.

tolsen
28-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Does any one have any ideas where i may be able to buy the complete window mechanism apart from a smart main dealer (which it looks like im going to have to buy as the regulator is not available seperate). Smart have quoted 173.
You only have two options, dealer or breakers. There is no market for Smart window mechanisms - thats why after market shops don't sell them.

Have you tried renewing the wire? Remove the window hoist mechanism and wedge the window closed with a piece of wood. Then take some photos of the mechanism and we'll assist you with the fix.

Yorkshire Devil
28-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi Guy,

I have a window regulator for a Smart Roadstar 0009703V007000000.

It is the driver side and is as per the picture I have just emailed to you.

Check with Smart to see if it fits yours. Its brand new and never been used.

It might be an old part number so dont let smart fob you off!