Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart ForTwo 84bhp Oil Leak - Fixed Under Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Simply keep an eye out for oil leaks, that's all. I certainly do not intend to check oil levels very often - a few times a year, perhaps.
    You should do POWER (Petrol, Oil, Water, Electrics, Rubber) checks every time you use the vehicle, though in reality once a week is usually sufficient. DO check as a minimum your oil and tyres once a week though, as failure to do so can cost you dear.

A visual check (just a single lap of the car) before getting in takes seconds and could save your life. Everyone should do it every time they drive.

As I understand it, you should try to top up with the oil that is already there, it's safe to top up with anything up to like 5%? I think that oil is something that shouldn't be skimpped on, especially when the engine will only take like 3 litres! I personally use Mobile One 0W40
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Where possible use appropriate oil, but in a fix any oil is better than no or low oil.

POWER. That's a great memorizer for levels. Thanks.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    POWER. That's a great memorizer for levels. Thanks.

Tim
    Huh? Did I miss something?
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Should check the oil in my 84T again actually, thanks for reminding me! I got a bottle of oil with it so that's useful.

Very interesting.
    Our 09 Reg 71BHP has been in the Merc garage since the 18th December with issues.
    Basically, there was an oil 'weap' identified in the winter service by smart 'nothing drastic, it will be repaired in the service'.
    Well, it went back into the garage, and it turned out that the engine timing casing had a crack in it, and we been waiting for the factory to open over the new year to make a new one ever since.

David
    David Spalton (OMA)

My 451 2010 Smart has an oil leak

Just noticed my Smart 451 Passion has an oil leak. The car is 6 months old and covered 1500miles. I just noticed a small drip as I off loaded it from the trailer behind my motorhome. It's at Smart Edinburgh at the moment. They tell me they will need it for a week. Anyone else having this problem??

Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by stewartwebr View Post
    Just noticed my Smart 451 Passion has an oil leak. The car is 6 months old and covered 1500miles. I just noticed a small drip as I off loaded it from the trailer behind my motorhome. It's at Smart Edinburgh at the moment. They tell me they will need it for a week. Anyone else having this problem??

Stewart
    Just an update on the leak. Mercedes Edinburgh has had the car for 4 days. They told me they think the sump gasket, which is not a traditional gasket but more of a spray on sealent has been leaking since I got the car.
    They had to clean up a lot of oil which had dripped over the engine.

Apparently, they have had a large number of these failures at there dealership

It was repaired free of charge under the warranty. They did mention I may need to pay for the oil at one point due me having done 1500 miles on the oil so some of the expense was mine. I pointed out that I had another 8500 miles of wear left on the oil, eventually it was done for free.

My 451 brabus cab is just over 12 months old with 9500 on the clock and is at this very moment in Mercedes Macclesfield having the very same oil leak fixed as well as new pioneer head unit and both door hinges oiled. I've only had it for 2.5 months and something tells me it's going to be a turbulent relationship. I love the car, I really do, it's the most fund I've had in a motor, but one more problem and it's getting converted into a VW Eos or 500 Abarth, I need something reliable.