Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 451 Fortwo - Common Faults

451 Fortwo - Common Faults

Thought I'd add a list of common faults and fixes for the 451. Please feel free to add more! There might be some listed in the Quirks section here

1. Boot Lock - Occasionally this can break and you wont be able to close the boot, which in turn means you cant lock your car. This has happened to me, and was fixed under warranty by smart with a new lock mech. To at least allow you some security, push the rear window down, and while holding it there, lock the car. Worked for me, but of course, the boot window will still open.

2. Not going into reverse/gear - Again, Andy's car has had this fault. Fixed by smart under warranty with new clutch plates.

3. Doors not unlocking from the inside, no matter how much you try - first of all, simply press the dash button for unlocking the doors. This was fixed by smart under warranty on my CDi. You can turn off the autolock function by holding down the dash unlock button and the key unlock button at the same time, until you hear a beep. When you get your car back, switch this function back on and confirm that you still have to double pull after the car has locked itself. If it hasn't, it means smart have used non UK spec locks. In Europe, smart don't offer the deadlocking as standard, and can order the wrong locks in. This again has happened to me.

4. MPG - Do a search for this, there are many who are happy with their MPG, and many who are not. My personal view is that it has a lot to do with driving style, driving conditions, and length of journeys. Others will disagree with this of course, but it has been proven by a group of members that a smart can achieve high MPG in the right conditions. Do a search for London To Edinburgh and see for yourself.

5. Wiper stalk not working and stereo not turning on or off with the ignition - This is fuse 20 blowing out, possibly due to the window washer pump. Requires replacement. If you don't have fog lights, you can use fuse 5, but remember to replace it again.

6. Inaccurate Fuel guage - Not sure if it has been fixed, but get smart to look at it

7. Rear washer not working - Have a look here

Quote Originally Posted by dave_sw1 View Post
    Fixed it, if anyone else has this problem, on the 451 at least, there is a panel at the left hand side of the boot, you just unclip it, and behind you will see a white foam pad, and a wiring loom behind the grey insulation foam, ease the loom out, it will come with some gentle persuasion, as part of the loom you will see a blue pipe and if you peel back the foam shrouding the connector in the loom you see a join in the pipe, which is where mine had popped off. It rather helpfully swamped the connector and probably most of the inner wing, which then made its way out some how and was dripping on the rear wheel. dried it as much as poss, reconnected pipe, taped the whole thing up and tie wrapped so hopefully no repeat.

Please feel free to add more to the list
    Smartz Admin staff member - Here to help!

Having a smart is only the beginning, so why not join in with the community?

In between smarts at the moment. Had to get something sensible

- Citroen C4 VTR+ 1.6 HDi 110bhp

Quote Originally Posted by maggi112 View Post
    The worlds most annoying rattle from the rear split tailgate
    And this is fixed by wrapping the latches in soft material. Had to do this on my 450 and roadster-coupe in the past

ps moved here to fault section
    Smartz Admin staff member - Here to help!

Having a smart is only the beginning, so why not join in with the community?

In between smarts at the moment. Had to get something sensible

- Citroen C4 VTR+ 1.6 HDi 110bhp

Standard radio 9 (radio 10 may also do this) skips tracks on CD and will just stop playing and is generally rubbish
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Yeah I'll second the cd player....and throw in centre console rattles (I'm not the only one), speedo binacle rattles, vibrating passenger door speaker (I'm again not the only one!) and dodgy fuel guage, which is more a rubbish fuel guage than a broken one.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatSmarts! View Post
    Yeah I'll second the cd player....and throw in centre console rattles (I'm not the only one), speedo binacle rattles, vibrating passenger door speaker (I'm again not the only one!) and dodgy fuel guage, which is more a rubbish fuel guage than a broken one.
    Not got any of them, apart from the fuel gauge. (I've currently done 54 miles to 4 bars !!!! and it will say empty by about 120 miles but will only fit like 15-20 litres in, I'll switch fuels and it will be okay for a bit lol.

Oh and a squeaky passenger seat when pushed far back
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Quote Originally Posted by maggi112 View Post
    I'll switch fuels and it will be okay for a bit lol.
    Does that help?

Anybody with a 451 that has had a 450 and can say where one is better than other? I have 450 and some niggles but nothing that I can't forgive it. What I'm hearing about the 451 sounds as though smart have taken a backward step with this car. Rattly, gutsy, crappy fuel gauge (when the 450 one is perfect) etc. Why would anyone trade up to a 451? And don't you (petrol model owners) miss the low down turbo grunt? Or have you all got Diesels?
    F.

From the 450's I've been in build quality is actually up! These are just niggles for me, easily solved. From a drivers point of view they're supposed to be a much better car but the 450 much cheaper to run in terms of fuel etc
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

crappy fuel gauge (when the 450 one is perfect) etc.
    yeah right

Have you any more?,.... cos I do love a good laugh

Why would anyone trade up to a 451?
    Cos it's the future

And don't you (petrol model owners) miss the low down turbo grunt?
    I did , I have to admit, miss it on the 71 (it's okay. but now, I can say,... I missed the turbo)

Or have you all got Diesels?
    have now

The 71 does seem reasonably grunty down low for such a small car without a turbo, but it does like a good thrashing, the mivec helps there I find that the cam change over is quite noticeable in second and I love it will be upgrading to a turbo though at some point, maybe soon!
    RS200 EDC Deep Black