Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 451 Fortwo - Common Faults

In all honesty I can say that my 451 is a better car than my 450 was - obviously when you buy a brand new car expectations are that bit higher but after nearly 4 months, mpg is consistantly at 53, same as my 450 was, ride is much better, gearbox is about the same except I've now got auto function, which I use more than I thought I would, mhd is excellent, engine is superb, very smooth & quiet when revving, much quieter at tickover, and feels much more relaxed at motorway speeds. Performance is difficult to judge but I would say that mine, barely run in yet, takes off at least as quickly as the 450, but obviously the impression of speed is less because it is so much quieter. As for rattles mine has a few, but nothing like as many as the 450 had! - tailgate and rear shelf rattles can usually be improved with a bit of fiddling, and a little experimentation with tyre pressures can work wonders with the ride but these things applied equally to the 450. All told I'm very happy, as a second car to use as an urban runabout the 451 is great and hopefully the lightly stressed Mitsubishi sourced engine should prove much less fragile than the original engine

Best way is to be shown with an actual cam outta the car, that's how I learnt it. Honda invented it in the 80's to produce 100bhp per litre, and to do that they needed to have all the valves (exhaust and inlet) pretty dam wide open, but it made the car rubbish to drive at low speeds and rpm as I understand it. So it would have a normal cam that spins around opening the valves, basically a metal tube with notches sticking out, with some larger notches next to these not doing anything. Whenit reaches a certain rev range the cam would effectively use these new notches to open them wider and more agressively to produce more power more suited to veyr high rpms. In a roundabout way of course. Anyone feel free to correct me as I didn't mention how the cam actually uses the new profile, as I don't know
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Quote Originally Posted by meshman View Post
    TAIM. You have me flummoxed. My 450 fuel gauge IS perfect. The only car I have had the confidence to run right to the dregs in without fear of running dry.What's your experience of them.
    Maggi112. Change fuel? Do you mean brand? Fuct if I can get my head round that!
    BTW. mivtech, vtec, etc. They are all just variable valve timing mechanisms that alter the cam timing to best suit the speed. Short timing for low rpm, longer opening times at higher rpm.
    Mivec btw see my longer but still rather short explanation. Banzaii did a really good write up on it not long ago in a celebration of honda iirc. And i mean from regular fuel to say vpower, and brand. I just switch around to see what's best. I'm sure the garage down the road from me is selling a very poor quality fuel, I suspect it's been there for a long time and has started to degrade. Personally, tescos 99 ron has been the best I've tried
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Quote Originally Posted by meshman View Post
    TAIM. You have me flummoxed. My 450 fuel gauge IS perfect. The only car I have had the confidence to run right to the dregs in without fear of running dry.What's your experience of them.
    you must be the only smart that has a good gauge, they are renowned to be inaccurate. (450 and 451s), shallow tank , so not much movement on the float so big chance for it to be inaccurate.

Tells you all about mivec on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIVEC

The engine in the 451 is the 3B2 series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_3B2_engine

Although high chance of being wrong! I won't look at wiki anymore for that fact! Best use of mivec has to be the fto gp as it sounds like pure sex on wheels, best use of vtec gonna be s2k or anything with a b16/b18
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

[ And i mean from regular fuel to say vpower, and brand. I just switch around to see what's best.
    Do you find that Vpower and similar make any difference? I've not tried this in my 451 but used to sometimes in the 450 and couldnt detect any change

No power difference at all that I can feel, just smoother. Actually much smoother. Dunno if it's the placebo effect, thinking there is an effect because I'm told so, but I noticed one.
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Quote Originally Posted by maggi112 View Post
    Although high chance of being wrong!
    know what you mean, but it happens to be okay in this instance

I did flick through it and I agree with most things on there! I'm actually pretty happywith my own explanation above though
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Tornado7 confirms progress is in right direction and that Mits engine will be more reliable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think it's based on the 3 cyl already seen in the 4-4 (M134?). 451 Diesel engine a variation on the (not imported in to UK) 450 Diesel?
    What I had heard before is that 451 rides and handles better than 450.
    No probs with my fuel gauge - I only need precision down at the last 5 litre point - maybe that's why it works for me.
    Hondas vtec locks the finger follower with a pin to engage the more aggressive cam lobes. Other systems advance or retard the opening/closing by rotating the camshaft beyond the motion imparted by its drive - like old ignition systems with points used to. The Honda system can alter both lift and duration. Others are really just phase changing to avoid/optomise overlap effects.
    Still fuct if I can understand how a change of fuel can affect a gauge.
    Turbo motors can best use high octane fuels but NA can too if ECU adapts. I doubt if the improvement matches the extra cost though.
    In summary - buy a 451 for better ride handling and less stressed engines.
    I think I'd miss having 6speeds in the box though, but 999cc probably compensates.
    Sorry SS. Well off topic - but useful comparisons of models don't you think?