Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 450 Fortwo - Common Faults

Whilst rain-x is good as it stops you having to use them, when you do have to use them with it applied, they tend to "bounce" across the windscreen causing more noise than before!
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Ottery st Mary, Nr Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom
    PIAA Silicone Wipers ... Best of both worlds.

Fitted these to the coupe, and they are great. No squeak, and rain beads off above about 30 mph.

Lucid ;o)

| smart i-move Limited Edition | Fuel Econometer - |

I drive with the IPSGA system, do you ??

[Silicon wipers sound though they are worth a shot. Cleaning wiper blades with vinegar helped in the past if memory serves.
    Skinny forearms required to change lightbulbs through the 'letterbox' - even then they still get ripped. I swear I would have to have removed my front panel to figure out how the black plastic cover cap goes back on if I hadn't a spare lamp assembly to crib from.
    Isn't it a 451 you have Jake? Tell me the bulbs are no easier than on a 450? Time to pay the boys at smart a visit I think - and take Vinnytwin, with the big forearms along - might see some improved design after that!

Are you writing a comprehensive guide to owning Mr Poo??

Erm, common faults........Mine aren't all that common but I'd say:

Rear wiper seal coming loose resulting in water dribbling down the inside of the window - refit the seal (don't use chewing gum, makes a right old mess)

Turbo cracking/failing - Replace the turbo.

Lights as previously mentioned, I tend to find the bulbs blow fairly regularly and it usually involves removing the front panel.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel
    Nellie - 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander

Quote Originally Posted by SuperStevie View Post
    Any one know the solution to this?
    As already said get better wiper blades or clean the screen . If the problem is at higher speeds it could be due to the wiperblade lifting from the air pressure across the screen. After paying out for Halfrauds wiper blades a couple of times converted my Fortwo to the Bosch AeroTwin Flat blades. Now done around 10,000 miles on the same blades and still no squeek or jumping at anything up to legal speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    Wet carpets - No solution yet as when sitting in the rain I can't see where it's coming from although I think possibly the wingmirrors or door seals.
    Comes into car across Trid right where your feet pass getting in and out - have just seen the snail trail on mine

Quote Originally Posted by vinnytwin View Post
    Windscreen Wiper Squawk!!! - Wipe the sharp rubber edge with a cloth soaked in white spirit. It cleans all the crap of the blade and works like new.
    Just did same but with vinegar. The glass too. Noise gone! How permanent? How long is a piece of string? Time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by meshman View Post
    Just did same but with vinegar. The glass too. Noise gone! How permanent? How long is a piece of string? Time will tell...
    How long will depend on loads of things. Where the car is parked, how many miles, weather, how you use them etc
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Quote Originally Posted by meshman View Post
    Comes into car across Trid right where your feet pass getting in and out - have just seen the snail trail on mine
    Thanks will have a look for it. Roadster owners apparently rub a certain grease on theirs so might try and find that.
    Procrastinating with the bulb abit, nearest indie is half an hour away which seems pointless for a bulb and worried about doing it myself but will have to bite the bullet soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    Thanks will have a look for it. Roadster owners apparently rub a certain grease on theirs so might try and find that.
    Procrastinating with the bulb abit, nearest indie is half an hour away which seems pointless for a bulb and worried about doing it myself but will have to bite the bullet soon.
    What bulb you replacing Jake?