Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 452 Roadster & Roadster-Coupe - Common Faults

Quote Originally Posted by maggi112 View Post
    For the car I hear about going wrong more than the others, and the one generally considered (or at least I thought it was) to have the most niggles and little faults, this thread is dead
    They're too busy fixing their fortwos cause by the look of the 451 thread every one must be falling apart

Yeah I seem to reply to everyones post on there which doesn't help!
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

so, being new to my roadster coupe, why were they discontinued? i was told one reason was, there was a major problem with the materials used to make the brake components causing bad corrosion leading to braking problems? anyone know any more Facts?
    thanks
    Doug
    Brabus roadster Coupe

The brakes are the same as the fortwo (450) so doubt it's that. If it was something like that, it could have been redesigned with different brakes quite easily.

I think it was probably due to reliability issues with aircon pipes breaking, leaks and the costs involved in warranty repairs. Also I think they were discontinued when 450's were and they share alot of the same parts, so was probably uneconomical to continue producing one but not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by armourerdoug View Post
    so, being new to my roadster coupe, why were they discontinued? i was told one reason was, there was a major problem with the materials used to make the brake components causing bad corrosion leading to braking problems? anyone know any more Facts?
    thanks
    Doug
    What the dealer told me was it cost something like 2k per car in warranty claims, mainly the leaks. Mercedes pulled the plug because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by meshman View Post
    What the dealer told me was it cost something like 2k per car in warranty claims, mainly the leaks. Mercedes pulled the plug because of that.
    I read somewhere that it was closer to 3k per car in warranty repairs
    Smartz Admin staff member - Here to help!

Having a smart is only the beginning, so why not join in with the community?

In between smarts at the moment. Had to get something sensible

- Citroen C4 VTR+ 1.6 HDi 110bhp

Yup 3k was the figure on average per roadster made. And they only made a limited number before pulling the plug shame, I hope they make a new one with the current gen engines. Would be a pretty nippy sports car with a great engine
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Quote Originally Posted by maggi112 View Post
    Yup 3k was the figure on average per roadster made. And they only made a limited number before pulling the plug shame, I hope they make a new one with the current gen engines. Would be a pretty nippy sports car with a great engine
    Interesting theories gentlemen, but wrong never the less.

A German based TR.n member who counts Mercedes amongst one of his translation and training clients, advised me that during conversations with a senior director at Mercedes, he was told that the roadster was sacrificed as a cost cutting measure along with the Forfour, due to dismal sales of the Vaneo And Vito people carriers and continuing economic problems with Chrysler, who were partners at the time.

Incidentally, just over 42,000 roadsters were made, with just 7251 coming to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Interesting theories gentlemen, but wrong never the less.
    the roadster was sacrificed as a cost cutting measure
    Is what we said... Because Mercedes were losing money on them. Because of the warranty work. Or did no Roadster ever leak?

Quote Originally Posted by meshman View Post
    Is what we said... Because Mercedes were losing money on them. Because of the warranty work. Or did no Roadster ever leak?
    Do you selectively mis quote on purpose?

Warranty costs on roadsters was not the reason that production was stopped. It was stopped on the roadster and the ForFour as part of a larger restructuring and rationalising process across Mercedes at the time.

Mercedes invested a lot of money in developing and promoting the Vaneo and Vito (Viano) people carriers, particularly in the US, as a high quality product. They failed to sell in the anticipated numbers. In fact the Vaneo was canned shortly after the roadster as a result.

Mr Meshman or Thrumbleaux or whatever, you do like to slag off the roadster at every opportunity, in fact in this thread, which is about Common faults found on the roadster, your sum total has been to criticise, e.g.

"Too busy fixing them to have time to post....."

"Or drowned in them..."

"What the dealer told me was it cost something like 2k per car in warranty claims, mainly the leaks. Mercedes pulled the plug because of that."

You don't own a roadster, do you? Have you ever owned a roadster?

Do you dislike roadsters so much that you have to be a troll about it? Or are you just jealous of those who have them?