Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear bike rack / Cycle carrier on Forfour

Question Rear bike rack / Cycle carrier on Forfour

I've been trying to find some information on bike racks for the forfour .

A few people have linked to Halford racks that fit in the fortwo; I guess these will fit the forfour as well?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165515 for example... but http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.p...8904#post98904 says that might be a bad idea. Does that warning go for the forfour too?

Are rear bike racks pretty standard, and I could just go to Halfords and trust them to tell me which is the right one for a smart forfour?

Thanks!

Nick

It is ill advised to fit a rear cycle carrier on a forfour, can't remember the exact reason but believe it is do to the tailgate being mostly glass and plastic (yes it has a metal frame) and the anchor points would rest on the plastic and glass.

Your best bet is to go to smart and order the roof bars and cycle carrier. The roof bars are better than Thule's offering as the smart ones are lockable as standard although with the Thule bars you might be able to fit a more generic ergo cheaper cycle carrier.

And I would never trust advice from Hellfrauds on any make of car, motorbike or push bike.
    Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

Quote Originally Posted by H Palmer View Post
    It is ill advised to fit a rear cycle carrier on a forfour, can't remember the exact reason but believe it is do to the tailgate being mostly glass and plastic (yes it has a metal frame) and the anchor points would rest on the plastic and glass.
    Thanks. I called our smart dealer, and he thought that might be why they don't sell a rear carrier.

They quoted me 77.55 for the bars, then 53.70 (per bike) for the bike carrier.

I don't fancy lifting my bike (fairly heavy) on to the top of the car. Maybe if I see it done it's easier than it sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Thanks. I called our smart dealer, and he thought that might be why they don't sell a rear carrier.

They quoted me 77.55 for the bars, then 53.70 (per bike) for the bike carrier.

I don't fancy lifting my bike (fairly heavy) on to the top of the car. Maybe if I see it done it's easier than it sounds?
    Never done it myself, I have the roof bars but never got any of the accessories. Depending on the bike it can't be too difficult... (probably famous last words). And reckoning by smart's knowledge they probably don't have a clue either.
    Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

i use a standard cheap rack from halfords
    and goes on back window and cost 30
    and can carry 4 bikes
    but dont put the ancor points on glass but inside on strutts !!
    CUP OF TEA

OK....PLEASE...somebody answer me with a REAL reason...

WHY put a BIKE on a CAR?????
    If you wanna Bike....Bike....
    If you wanna drive..use the CAR...

These days, in the "nanny-state", I see ZERO enjoyment of biking!
    OK...you get some air...but you have to wear a HELMET, GLOVES,KNEE PADS, ELBOW PADS, GONAD PADS and A YELLOW VEST!!!!!

I wore 3 bikes out in my "youth"...and never had any of this cr*p

I just don't see the "fun" anymore....especially if you have to stck the damned things on the back/top of your car before you can use them!!

OH...and a personal (or MORE personal) comment....ALL cyclists SHOULD have fully comp insurance

Quote Originally Posted by CRADDY View Post
    but dont put the ancor points on glass but inside on strutts !!
    Thanks for that information... what do you mean by inside on struts? Do you have a photo?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Or_GazM View Post
    OK....PLEASE...somebody answer me with a REAL reason...

WHY put a BIKE on a CAR?????
    Not sure if your name means this is a joke or not

We want to take the bikes on our holiday, so that we CAN cycle. We can't cycle TO our holiday, it's just too far and we want to take things with us.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Not sure if your name means this is a joke or not

We want to take the bikes on our holiday, so that we CAN cycle. We can't cycle TO our holiday, it's just too far and we want to take things with us.
    My "Name" IS my name....Gary Metcalfe...the "Or" was just for FUN (we have that on this forum)....

I just don't understand the "need" to take a bicycle on holiday.....OR the need to have such a small car that you can't do what you "want" to do when you get there.

We have a Smart to drive "to-and-fro".....and a VW T4 if we want to take something, or buy, something big.

Smarts are Tupperware cars.....useful for what they are....NOT a holiday, pack all the luggage, take the bikes, bring back a kitchen sink car.

My "Name" IS my name....Gary Metcalfe...the "Or" was just for FUN (we have that on this forum)....
    I meant the Norwegian Troll part

I just don't understand the "need" to take a bicycle on holiday.....OR the need to have such a small car that you can't do what you "want" to do when you get there.
    Sure, we don't "need" to, but it would be nice to be able to cycle around a forest, or get around a town, right?

We have a Smart to drive "to-and-fro".....and a VW T4 if we want to take something, or buy, something big.
    I'm happy for you that you can afford two cars, especially that one is a camper van.