Thread: Unable to engage reverse gear

A one bus a fortnight town in Suffolk !, , United Kingdom

Post imported post

Having lots of trouble engaging reverse gear.

Brake pedal is depressed, try to select reverse, the gear display changes from 'N' to '0' and the reverse light comes on, this may happen 10 or 12 times before the gear display shows 'R' and reverse gear is selected.

If I accendently leave the car in 1st when the engine is switched off, it can also be a pig to select 'N'.

Any ideas ?

Ta Jace

Post imported post

The gear selection process is electrical not physical, the reversing light illumination is physical..... if you follow.... I dont know the ins and outs of the box but it sounds like a sticky solernoid.....see if you get any informed responses, I can ask questions on Monday!
    Fudge!

Fudgesmart Continue To Offer Full Engine Rebuilds From Just 800 With A National Collection And Delivery Service To Suit You And Your Dead Smartie!
    Fudgenosis On Site TAN Coding Available NOW With STAR Diagnosis,
    Coding Of: Keys, Cruise, Paddle Shift, Clutch Adjustment And Fault Code Reading. On Site Means At Your Home, Work Or Wherever Your Car Dies!24/7
    www.fudgesmart.co.uk

Post imported post

Brake light switch.
    Common problem, costs about 20 quid (i think) from a dealer, and takes about 20 mins to fit (If you have a jack/axle stands)
    i found with mine... hold the brake for a couple of seconds before sliding it into gear... may make a difference.

What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place?
    What if everything you ever dreamed, cost all you ever achieved?
    What if, to get to heaven, you had to brave hell?

Would you still go there?

Kolyn, Smartz smart car club staff member. Also a Roadster Driver, and a 4x4 owner
    You can go fast... I can go anywhere...

Post imported post

Hi chuffer here , had the same problem over Christmas tis as said, brake light switch going out of alignment fixed under warranty 20 mins max cant be much!!!
    beans beans are good for the heart
    the more you eat the more you fart
    the more you fart the better you feel
    so eat baked beans with every meal

Hello, Jace I have exactly the same issue in my Smart Fortwo 451, I can't engage reverse gear in some ocations. The last weekend I was about 10 minutes to engage the reverse. I turned off the car, I pressed brake in different positions, I drove in "1" some meters, I saw too the reverse light comes on and still the problem.
    This problem is not all the time, but it is frecuently, about 1 time in the week. Somebody knows what can I do?

I will appreciate if somebody was solved this issue.

Best Regards

Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by pemase View Post
    Hello, Jace I have exactly the same issue in my Smart Fortwo 451, I can't engage reverse gear in some ocations. The last weekend I was about 10 minutes to engage the reverse. I turned off the car, I pressed brake in different positions, I drove in "1" some meters, I saw too the reverse light comes on and still the problem.
    This problem is not all the time, but it is frecuently, about 1 time in the week. Somebody knows what can I do?

I will appreciate if somebody was solved this issue.

Best Regards

Pedro
    On a 451, trouble getting reverse is symptomatic of the car needing a new clutch, as long as you are pressing the foot brake when selecting reverse

as far as I know they didn't lubricate the splines properly on the early 451's so the clutch sticks/binds on them

You need a new clutch imho

Quote Originally Posted by pemase View Post
    Hello, Jace.....
    The original post was in April 2005 - not sure he is still around

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Thumbs up Problems engaging reverse.

Hi I recently had this problem but it ha been rectified by contacting a couple of Smart garages and speaking directly to a mechanic.
    My issue was - I could not engage reverse, the mechanic in the smart garage asked if I had brake lights - the answer was no. He advised that there could be a few things but to start of with the simplest things first. I purchased a brake switch which comes with a replacement cover,@ 22. I asked the guy in the parts to print me off the details of where exactly the bit was to go, he did this for me no problem.

I am not mechanically minded and done the job myself.
    The switch that needs replaced is on the brake pedal which is accessed from beneath the car - easy to get to! you need to remove the plastic cover beneath the car first 10 or 12 screws that's all, the whole job took me about 35minutes.

I hope this helps!!!