Thread: Wheels

Wheels

I want to replace the standard wheels with a new set fore and aft which look a lot wider in appearance. The width of the front tyres look a bit feeble. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations/advice. I don't want to change the wheels to the detriment of handling as I use my Smart every day.

Tyre recommendations welcome too. I may want to fit some snow tyres in winter.

theres not many about for the smarts tbh, well not many that cost a bomb

i must remember to get my brabus monoblocks up for sale at somepoint mind you

Buy a hub adapter and your choices are greatly increased.
    Smart car lover.

Upping the width of the front tyres is one of the best things I've done. I've now got 195mm wide tyres all round (standard fronts are 145mm). I now barely notice the wind pushing me around on fast roads, it also sticks to the road really well and the handling is completely transformed.

As for wheels, it depends on budget really. Cheapest way for wide tyres is roadster steels. They cost 25 plus VAT each brand new from smart. Your old rear tyres can be put onto the front of the new ones (have a look next time you're by the car and you can see how much of a difference there is.). You then need to buy new wider rear tyres. You should be able to the do the whole lot for just over 200.

Other wide wheels are Spikelines which I have, Brabus fortwo monoblocks (the 16" version) or have a look at team dynamics "Smartie" wheel. They need spacers for the rear which might be included but are very wide and look really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    Upping the width of the front tyres is one of the best things I've done. I've now got 195mm wide tyres all round (standard fronts are 145mm). I now barely notice the wind pushing me around on fast roads, it also sticks to the road really well and the handling is completely transformed.
    That's what I wanted to hear. Let's face it, the handling on the 450 fortwo isn't fantastic, so anything that improves stability at least can only be a good thing. When I first got the car I couldn't believe how much oversteer there was on a bend I'm used to cornering at speed in other cars, I nearly ended up on the other side of the road.

Cheers for the suggestions folks.

I'll look into those options JMM. I like the idea of having 195mm tyres at the front and something wider at the rear.

Are there any websites in particular that I ought to be looking at?

Doesn't eliminate understeer though jake, remember that 90 degree corner you took too fast by my house? The woman coming the other way pulled a great face when she saw you come round the corner.

I know 451 is different to your 450 but I've decided on rear steels all round, your equivalent are front roadster steels, and I'm gonna wrap them in toyo t1rs. I've now got the cash, I just need time to travel down to wellsmart which won't happen for a few weeks I alkaline intend to have the steels done with a polished lip although ive not decided on a colour for the centre yet. I would expect your mpg to change though as you're worried about that
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    how much oversteer there was on a bend
    Are there any websites in particular that I ought to be looking at?
    You mean understeer? Right?
    Try here >> http://www.evilution.co.uk/513 for info.

Quote Originally Posted by maggi112 View Post
    your equivalent are front roadster steels,
    Equivalent for 450 is a set of Roadster rims, with rears not fronts, on rear.

Quote Originally Posted by meshman View Post
    You mean understeer? Right?
    Try here >> http://www.evilution.co.uk/513 for info.

Equivalent for 450 is a set of Roadster rims, with rears not fronts, on rear.
    Well I knew it was one or the other. Owning neither a 450 or roadster, I've not looked it up
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Quote Originally Posted by maggi112 View Post
    Doesn't eliminate understeer though jake, remember that 90 degree corner you took too fast by my house? The woman coming the other way pulled a great face when she saw you come round the corner.
    That was embarassing that you saw that. That wasn't understeer though, I kind of underestimated how sharp a bend it was and didn't turn the wheel enough lol. I also thought it was a one way road till I came face to face with the other car. Was scarey for both of us haha.

The front end let go a few days ago though. Floored it round a soaking wet roundabout and the front let go completely and wouldn't steer in either direction. At the time I was trying to ensure that I was indicating in the right direction which in hindsight wasn't the most important thing to focus on. Overall I'm very impressed with the tyres though. I've gone round bends at 50mph whereas before 35mph was the limit. Only car I've properly raced round a bend so far was an Audi A3 and that couldn't get past me until the road straightened out. The car is completely transformed. It's annoying they do put the thinnest wheels on it that are rock solid and have barely any grip. It saves maybe 3-4mpg so they risk safety for that which is annoying. Also another benefit is even though my new tyres are 195's and Falkens, they cost me 45 each. The old tyres I believe were over 60 as they were a rarer size and so you pay a premium for it.

LOL really, you can push a 450 on skinnies pretty hard. Our cabbie that dydo'd at over 120bhp still runs skinnies and Paul and I can out run most other cars on the back lanes around here in it!

Also if SuzieSmart is still about ask him about SS a few years back when P totally out ran him when our car had skinnies and a map and his had Kahns, map, lowered etc

Learn the limits and capeabilites and they aren't all that bad, look at what rally cars were running 20 odd years ago.... Then decide!

Kate