Thread: Persistent safe mode

Post imported post

I would appreciate help or suggestions as to where to go for help.

A few months ago, my Smart started to go into safe mode or "limp home" mode. This happened when I put "pedal to the metal" when trying to get into a gap in traffic on roundabouts or right turns and when overtaking. I was able to 'reboot' by switching off, counting to ten and starting up again. I took it into Smart Chiswick where, unfortunately, the mechanic erased the 'error log' so they could not find the cause. The next time it happened, the engine warning light came on and stayed on. I had it trucked up to Chiswick and they replaced the ECU (master control unit?). The same fault has reoccurred twice in the last week (without the warning light and cured by 'reboot'). I have asked Smart Chiswick to check with the manufacturers before I bring it in but they say that they cannot get any info. Its a 4 two Passion 2001 model LHD but only 3600 km on the clock.

I would really appreciate any ideas that I could give the mechanics in Chiswick

Post imported post

You might check that all the pipes are connected up.A loose one (related to the turbo)can cause this!
    Andy,Smartz smart car club staff member and EX-BRABUS CABRIOLET driver!!

Post imported post

Check your spark plugs.
    If theyre a bit grubby, it can cause misfiring (possible Cause of error)
    If theyre oily, you may have blown a seal (Sam/andy, no Jokes please)
    best way to reset the turbo is to disconnect the battery
    if the engine light is still on, take it to the nearby smart center and just as for a diagnostic... shouldnt cost much, if at all.. then you'll know

What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place?
    What if everything you ever dreamed, cost all you ever achieved?
    What if, to get to heaven, you had to brave hell?

Would you still go there?

Kolyn, Smartz smart car club staff member. Also a Roadster Driver, and a 4x4 owner
    You can go fast... I can go anywhere...

Post imported post

Hi chuffer here, just been on the aussie smart site theres a post on there recommending disconnecting the battery for twenty minutesif the car goes into safe mode, must reboot the ecu or something, dont know if that helps.
    beans beans are good for the heart
    the more you eat the more you fart
    the more you fart the better you feel
    so eat baked beans with every meal

Post imported post

chuffer dandridge wrote:
    Hi chuffer here, just been on the aussie smart site theres a post on there recommending disconnecting the battery for twenty minutesif the car goes into safe mode, must reboot the ecu or something, dont know if that helps.
    Hi Chuffer. Disconnecting the battery seems to be a bit of a "cure-all", and is often recommended to be used when the ECU throws a wobbler. Seems to work in the majority of cases as well.
    Always too much month left at the end of the money

Post imported post

Hi Rduncan,

Yes, If you disconnect your battery for about 10 - 20 minutes that should solve your problems......

I spoke to Paul & Alan from SRU in Nottingham and he said that once that is done it should re-set everything. I am in the process of heavily modifying my vechile so I may enounter this problem especially when I replace the standard injectors to brabus injectors.

Basically one you do this the car teaches itself at the settings that where the battery was re-connected at.....

Ta

Paul.... ( Australia )

p.s... That was me who made the comment in aussiesmarts.....

Post imported post

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will pass all these comments over to the technicians at Smart Chiswick. I am not sure that disconnecting the battery will work since, presumably, all the settings were reset when the new ECU was fitted (assuming of course that they did what they charged me for).

Many Thanks again

Post imported post

Smar can use their Diags machine to reset the error codes.. Disconnecting the battery will solve the problem short term.
    If your gonna bring it in, may aswell bring in a broken car and not a hastily fixed one.

What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place?
    What if everything you ever dreamed, cost all you ever achieved?
    What if, to get to heaven, you had to brave hell?

Would you still go there?

Kolyn, Smartz smart car club staff member. Also a Roadster Driver, and a 4x4 owner
    You can go fast... I can go anywhere...

safe mode

Mine does it since I fitted a larger throttle body. It is consistant,but can reset just by turning the ignition on and off.

I will try the "disconnect the battery" trick to see if it cures it.

By the way,the larger throttle body gives you more top end poke...(can stay in 6th gear longer) and better fuel consumption...............however,you lose a little acceleration.......and I also have the safe mode problem. Done a lot of mods to the car........but by far the most effective is the larger fuel regulator.
    Last edited by Dave P; 11-11-2011 at 10:48 AM.