Thread: ForTwo won't start

Question ForTwo won't start

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Bought my '04 Fortwo on Saturday and she was fine on the long journey home. I popped to the shop yesterday morning and when I got back into the car I didn't start her straight away and the immobiliser must have kicked in as she wouldn't start (didn't know this at the time). She started after about 5 mins and was ok until later when I did the same thing again. Called RAC who kindly showed me how to immobilise her.

All fine again until this morning when parked up and after a 20 min phone call tried to start her again and even though she was in neutral she just shows reverse and won't turn over.

Any help is more than welcome.

Many thanks

Obvious things first. If it won't start

1) Turn on the ignition
    2) Put your foot on the brake,
    3) Put it into First
    4) Then put it back into Neutral

5) Lock the car with the fob (Doesn't matter whether you are in it or not)
    6) Unlock the car with the fob

Now try to start it

Actually, if you look on the drivers sun visor, there are often instructions there for "My Smart won't Start"

1) - 4) deal with the case where the was in neutral when you turned it off
    5) & 6) make sure the car is un-immobilised (mobilised?) - It will automatically immobilsed itself after a few minutes - A deliberate security feature in case you leave the car unattended but forget to lock it

Just re-read your original post - You need to do 1-4 to make sure the car is in neutral. If its showing "R", it won't start.
    Make sure it reads "N" before turning the ignition off

I'm rubbish at multitasking - If I'd been concentratiing, I could have done this in one post

Anyway, Smart gearboxes are a bit weird. If you turn off the ignition with the car in gear (Reverse, in your case) the gears are left engaged in reverse. When you turn it back on, it won't let the engine start because you'd whizz off down the road backwards.

So you need to

Turn on the ignition
    Put your foot on the brake
    Put the car into gear (1st or Reverse - either will do)
    Put the car back into Neutral again

Now, the gearbox has now been properly put back into Neutral again and will be happy to start

Like I said in one of my many previous posts, make sure it reads "N" before switching off the ignition

The recommended parking gear is also reverse correct? as it locks the gears in place.. something or other!

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmart View Post
    The recommended parking gear is also reverse correct? as it locks the gears in place.. something or other!
    Yup, it's literally imovable (by more than 1/2 foot)

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - 600cc Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmart View Post
    Yup, it's literally imovable (by more than 1/2 foot)
    Wrong

It simply locks the gearlever in reverse position , it DOESN'T lock the gearbox in any way apart from being in reverse gear.
    Without the appropriate key, you can't release the gearlever and get the power on the car, so can't get it out of reverse.

The car is still draggable (but not as easily as if it was left in neutral) ,

The engine will turn over if the tyre/road friction is sufficient.

It's still however the best and only defence the car has got in the absence of a steering column lock

Out of genuine interest, do naughty people nick Smart cars much?

I can see new ones being pinched but older one are not really valuable enough to be worth ringing, surely? There can't be that much of a stolen-for-spares market and I can't see kids nicking them for joyriding much either.

I'm sure someone on here will have been unlucky but I'd wager they must rank quite low down on the "Cars Wot Get Nicked" list. Or am I as wrong as a wrong thing?

There are horror stories, not sure of the stastics though.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - 600cc Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel

And if you want to move one....you just pick the back end up and let it roll on the front wheels.......One BIG bloke, or 2 little ones.
    Or just stick a couple of skate-boards under the back wheels......
    Pretty cr*p as an "Immobiliser"......