Thread: help!! smart fortwo o5 plate 3 lines of death gearbox cluch fault !!! help!!

Unhappy help!! smart fortwo o5 plate 3 lines of death gearbox cluch fault !!! help!!

hello!! i have a smart fortwo 2005 its now a non starting smart!!! it hasnt been used for 3 weeks , the battery went flat, a new one was fitted but now i have the 3 lines in the instrument cluster! my local garage has had a look, it has the fault codes in the gearbox of p2035 turn sensor and p2036 incremental sensor, they have the equpment to reprogram the cluch and gearbox but it just wont program theres a current fault so it wont program?? any ideas????????

Does your local garage have a star machine?

If they're using a standard OBD Machine, it might bring up some generic fault codes but they won't be able to train the clutch etc.

The gear position sensor can trigger the three bars

http://fq101.co.uk/faq/444-i-have-3-...isplay-is.html

http://fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/for...he-3-bars.html
    Last edited by MrPoo; 08-01-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - 600cc Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel

A garage in Banchory had a similar problem about 4 months ago. A Smart 450 was towed in to them due to flat battery which they replaced. Car would not start and 3 bars appeared. I was called in to help. My WinStar would not reteach transmission before I had kept the new starter battery on charge for about half an hour. Perhaps low charge on new battery is your problem as well.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Has the car been towed?? Could this cause problems in itself Tolsen?

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - 600cc Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel

The Smart has a conventional mechanical gearbox very similar to a grey Ferguson so towing is now problem as long as in neutral.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

There's a fuse that when removed will show the 3 bar fault. The fusebox is above where the battery is, and is easy to knock when removing the polystyrene that covers the battery.

Try checking all the fuses are there and intact:
    http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=220

When we had the 3 lines fault (car would not start) it turned out to be a chaffed wiring loom to the gearbox - the fault codes threw up all kinds of anomolies but it just needed the wiring repairing.