Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going for the maximum power output...

Going for the maximum power output...

This week i will be installing the forge smart dump kit, intercooler pipes and TIK with an ITG filter.

a decent remap will follow.

but then where to go?

upgraded intercooler which offer aprox 50 % extra capacity, has anyone looked into this?
    i pressume the first step (being a bluewave owner) is to install a brabus liquid cooled intercooler? how can this be improved?

looking into a way of speeding up the gear changes? i guess this will come down to actuators and operating pressures? has anyone looked into this ?

Upgrade to hybrid turbo? anyone here done this? pros and cons?

engine modifications? is it possible to bore the engine perhaps? 750? 800??

sports cat? has anyone installed something like this? or a decat? how much hp increase is gained?

improving the 1st gear acel ? that horrible time between 1000 and 3000 revs... compressed air resevior topped up and regulated by the dump valve and an additional pressure release valve that could give boost pressure at 1500 revs??

the smartuki engines.... has anyone done this? whats the economy like? complications?

theres a few questions there ... i know, but hoping to attract the more imaginative and engineer minded people on the forum

Don't bother with the dump valve

We do
    Flowed heads
    4sizes of BIGger turbos
    3stages of camshafts
    Titanium valves
    Titanium exhausts
    Bigger intercoolers
    Forged rods
    Forged pistons
    And most importantly remaps that are specific to these modifications
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

The engine is already a bored out 600cc and so there isn't really much room for boring it out again.

The main thing is boils down to is your budget really. If I was going all out, I'd look at a forged block or a stroked 800cc engine made out the bottom end of the diesel engine. The only trouble with stroking is that you lose rpm's and so more gearchanges would be required which isn't the best thing on a smart.

The Smartuki conversions are meant to eat through clutches in under 3000 miles. Also the gears and really short to enable a quick 0-60 time. This means in 6th gear it's 1000 revs per 10mph, so 80mph is at 8k and might be a bit deafening. It might also because of this end up with a lower top speed than the original smart engine could manage.

Gearchanges are sped up slightly with a remap (10%). After that a lightweight flywheel and clutch will improve the gearchange speed further.
    As for first gear acceleration, have you been using the sports start?

A chargecooler would personally be the way to go (and what I have gone for). When you get that, you can then look into better rads for it at the front to improve it further. The smart OEM chargecooler is a really good piece of kit and is the right way round internally unlike a large amount of aftermarket coolers. As well as helping to keep things cooler, it also makes it more stable as water has a higher thermal mass.

As for an air filter, have a look at the Pipercross Venom induction kits. There's a Venom and Viper. People use to pay extra for the Viper as it had a carbon fibre outer case vs the metal one of the Venom. They've since updated the Venom to have a plastic surround and it's now infact a larger filter and so the best one to go for.

Also I'd have a look into weight loss if possible. A roadster light is 790kg I believe and the Brabus is about 835kg (which yours will be as it has all the added parts). Al Young from the smart club got an official FIA timed 0-60 run of 6.66 seconds in his roadster. He had only 111bhp but had lightened his roadster to 700kg. It still has a full dash and interior but items like the seats have been swapped for lightweight buckets. People have commonly got the standard engine to 120ish bhp with some hitting 125-130bhp. With that power and that weight loss, you could end up with a really quick car.

Do you want a car to drive or a car to race?

If it's for driving go for either a Roadie or Brab Roadie turbo (or one of Ian's) the hoses & filter you already have lined up and a remap and a freeflow exhaust and you will have a pretty quick but still reliable car, this is what we did to one of our loan cars (Pure Cabbie) and it's running around 120bhp

Kate

One of my roadsters that is running 146bhp has just passed 84000 miles

Fast and reliable!
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

Yeah but I was comparing to Smartiuki etc Reliable and a driver aren't words I'd use for them lol

K

3 elements to pick from.

FAST
    CHEAP
    RELIABLE

You can only have 2....
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Why not sell the bluewave and buy the brabus?
    Sensible mode deactivated, back in a Roadster

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.

Bluewave is rarer than a BraBus
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

Quote Originally Posted by maggi133 View Post
    3 elements to pick from.

FAST
    CHEAP
    RELIABLE

You can only have 2....
    2 is better than none whatsoever!
    Last edited by Westcoaster; 29-03-2011 at 07:21 PM.