Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: project

project

Hi all,

literally just registered on here and after some advice. Been looking around the internet but can't find much on it, then stumbled accross this site. Basically im thinking about getting a smart car for all the obvious upsides, but also im a lil bit of a speed freak so im def gonna upgrade it into a nippy bugger lol

I want to know, what is the best version to buy? (most people are saying you can work more with the 75bhp model). What mods do i need to do, e.g. upgrade turbo. how much?? after at least 100bhp, which is pretty decent for that size, obv more the better. accerleration is preferred over top end tbh.

im not willing to throw thousands at it, after something cheap and cheerful tbh. i reckon maybe 3k tops. Is this possible?

I drove a smart 0.6ltr with upgraded brabus turbo i think and manifold, and it was fantastic lol been convinced to get one ever since (it was for sale 2.500, but dodgey geeza didnt trust him lol)

sorry for the essay, appreciate any help u can give me! thanks

There are two versions of the smart fortwo (which I assume you're talking about), the pre 2007 known as the 450 and the 2007 on, known as the 451. The early 450s had a 600cc engine and the later ones a 700cc engine, both with turbo. The 451s have a 1 litre engine and come in 71bhp naturally aspirated, or 84bhp turbo. If you get an 84bhp version, they re-map easily to 100bhp and with a little extra work can be got up to over 120bhp! The 450 engines are very tuneable as well and your target of 100bhp is achievable....

Once you have found your car, I suggest you contact Ian at Big Performance about your power requirements, he is the person to talk to about getting it re-mapped and will tell you exactly what you need to do to get the power you want.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    A missive from the old fart.
    smart 451 cdi and lovin' it
    My smart site: www.fshotf.com

Member of the unofficial "Mad Smartz Club"

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan.e View Post
    There are two versions of the smart fortwo (which I assume you're talking about), the pre 2007 known as the 450 and the 2007 on, known as the 451. The early 450s had a 600cc engine and the later ones a 700cc engine, both with turbo. The 451s have a 1 litre engine and come in 71bhp naturally aspirated, or 84bhp turbo. If you get an 84bhp version, they re-map easily to 100bhp and with a little extra work can be got up to over 120bhp! The 450 engines are very tuneable as well and your target of 100bhp is achievable....

Once you have found your car, I suggest you contact Ian at Big Performance about your power requirements, he is the person to talk to about getting it re-mapped and will tell you exactly what you need to do to get the power you want.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Cheers Duncan, appreciate your help, nice one

glad to hear 100bhp is acheivable, hopefully not too costly to do so. What sort of 0-60 time would i be looking at for a 100bhp smart?

currently got a corsa which is about 130bhp...8 secs

but the smart is obviously much lighter, i usesd to have a 6n polo which was 100bhp standard and was about 10ish seconds, so it looks promising lol

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    glad to hear 100bhp is acheivable, hopefully not too costly to do so. What sort of 0-60 time would i be looking at for a 100bhp smart?

currently got a corsa which is about 130bhp...8 secs

but the smart is obviously much lighter, i usesd to have a 6n polo which was 100bhp standard and was about 10ish seconds, so it looks promising lol
    I have a cdi, re-mapped to 60bhp - originally 45 - so I can't advise you on 0-60 times, but it will feel faster than it is, however quick! Even with 'only' 60bhp mine surprises people, even more so when I leave them behind on corners....

Get a 700cc version as you can then bolt on Roadster turbos. Also look for a Pure 61bhp with no AC, lightest version and nothing to drain the power. We have a Pure Cabbie that's been dyno'd at 120 + bhp

Kate

As a recent smart convert all i'd say is kiss speed goodbye!!! they just aint' built for it! The best description I'd use is 'nippy', very nippy (and the most fun on 4 wheels) but thats it really!

I had to change my mindset when i was searching for my fortwo as i used to drive a little bit quick at times!

good luck with your search
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    As a recent smart convert all i'd say is kiss speed goodbye!!! they just aint' built for it! The best description I'd use is 'nippy', very nippy (and the most fun on 4 wheels) but thats it really!

I had to change my mindset when i was searching for my fortwo as i used to drive a little bit quick at times!

good luck with your search
    I'm not sure I agree with that statement, depending on what you call 'speed'.... I am no longer a speed merchant, being an old fart more interested in economy. That said, my cdi will happily travel well in excess of the speed limit. I have clocked several doing almost 100mph and I know someone who had one that did 146mph! With a car that's as light as a fortwo, with 100bhp it's going to be fast, both in acceleration and top speed. With 120+bhp it's going to be real fun! OK. maybe not a supercar, but fast enough!

The fortwo being so short will never be as stable as a longer wheelbased car, but with the right suspension mods, they are remarkably nimble, unlike a standard car which is 'entertaining' at speed or in a cross wind.

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    Get a 700cc version as you can then bolt on Roadster turbos. Also look for a Pure 61bhp with no AC, lightest version and nothing to drain the power. We have a Pure Cabbie that's been dyno'd at 120 + bhp

Kate
    And it goes like sh%t off a stick too!
    Smart car lover.

Quote Originally Posted by perks View Post
    And it goes like sh%t off a stick too!
    Hi Kate, that sounds great. so with the 700cc version can upgrade to the roadster turbo, what power would be expcted. Also what other mods would be needed, and a rough price idea. thanks