Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear tyres - even wear or what?

Rear tyres - even wear or what?

My last pair of Continental EcoContact tyres:

Both are worn almost down to the tread indicators so time for a new pair. Note the fitting damage on right hand side tyre, caused by the tyre fitter applying improper technique and too high pressure when beading tyre.
    New tyres will be Maxxis MA-P1 175/55 R15 for more comfortable ride and improved fuel consumption.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    My last pair of Continental EcoContact tyres:

Note the fitting damage on right hand side tyre, caused by the tyre fitter applying improper technique and too high pressure when beading tyre.
    This is a wind up right? the tyre fitter....... you have been driving around like this? points make prizes......... how many miles did they last?

I've passed MOT several times on these. Got only 35000 miles out of this rear set of Continentals so not particularly happy. Noticed rear end was wagging its tail a wee bit at low speed so jacked up to inspect, then found the damaged tyre. Getting a new pair of Maxxis tomorrow, meanwhile running on winter tyres to stay mobile. Another thing: The worn Continentals looked rather small in diameter compared to the winter tyres I just fitted. Difference in outer diameter slightly above 1 inch.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

My continentals have 87000km and they're still OK - The fronts are almost new, and the rear ones will need changing in about 2000km. I might change wheels soon although, just can't seem to find any Corelines or Strikelines.
    '05 smart fortwo coupe passion cdi*
    *Gone and Missed

'12 smart fortwo cabrio pulse cdi

Shame on you Tolsen!

You should have discovered the damage to your tyre long ago! Don't you check your tyres at least weekly when you've got your car in the air busy doing something to it?

John

Shame on the MOT testing station who should have spotted and failed this obvious 'accident waiting to happen' !
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

I don't think that part is actually covered by the MOT.

When I did my driving test, I learnt that for the tyres to be legal they have to have 1.6mm of tread across the centre 3/4's of the tyre with no cuts or bulges in the sidewalls. It's scary that that section of tyre doesn't seem to be included when it could potentially have led to an accident!

Tolsen: Are your Winter tyres the same width and profile?

If it's got ply/cord showing anywhere on the tyre its a fail
    If it's got a lump/bulge or tear its a fail

it's a fail
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Didn't realise that but it definitely makes sense. I can't believe they could miss something like that then!

That ply/cord showing is nothing to do with how the tyre was fitted. It's just worn down past the tread. They look like both tyres have worn on the outside edges, whcih suggests they have been slightly under inflated for most of their life.

BTW those tyres are not "nearly" worn to the tread indicators, to my eyes, they both look WAY PAST that! -They're practically bald!

In any case, 35k is a really good mileage from a set of rear tyres. I'm lucky to get 20k from a set!
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================