Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear tyres - even wear or what?

The tread indicators are not entirely flush yet meaning there still would be some miles left in these tyres had the right hand side one not developed a hump.
    Slightly more wear on outboard sides is normal. Caused by cornering and camber.
    These two tyres have pretty much even wear between sides, a result of a camber correction some years ago:

Rear axle -2 degrees camber.

Rear axle -0.5 degrees camber.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Sorry, but as a road user, that's totally unacceptable. And to blame someone else...? I'd like to see you prove that claim, when 35,000 miles of driving you are the sole person responsible for maintaining the pressure. It is YOUR responsibility as the driver (not even the owner of the car...) to ensure it is in roadworthy condition. And that clearly hasn't been for some time.

The more I read your posts tolsen, the more respect I loose
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Quote Originally Posted by maggi133 View Post
    Sorry, but as a road user, that's totally unacceptable. And to blame someone else...? I'd like to see you prove that claim, when 35,000 miles of driving you are the sole person responsible for maintaining the pressure. It is YOUR responsibility as the driver (not even the owner of the car...) to ensure it is in roadworthy condition. And that clearly hasn't been for some time.

The more I read your posts tolsen, the more respect I loose
    Somebody pissed in your cornflakes?
    Let me state some facts:
    These tyres have not been under inflated. I use a calibrated PCL Mk 2 tyre inflator and inflate to 2.5 bar.
    The tyres are marginally legal as far as tread depth goes. Obviously the damaged tyre is not suitable for the road.
    I check my tyres daily but don't jack up and spin the wheels unless there is a good reason.
    Both tyres were promptly retired following a tyre inspection last week. Now running on brand new Maxxis MA-P1 175/55 R15 for more comfortable ride and improved fuel consumption. Cost GBP 103 for two rear tyres fitted and balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    whcih suggests they have been slightly under inflated for most of their life.
    or massively overloaded ...LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by tolsen
    The Smart is also good for heavy loads. I once carried 12 bags of Portland cement in the boot space
    Let me state some facts:
    Let me state one: The MOT station/tester you've been using for
    several
    MOTs is obviously either completely blind and/or incompetent or is amenable to a backhander?
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 19-09-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

My pair of Maxxis rear tyres lasted seven years. Have just fitted a pair of superior quality Rotella Setula using my £43 China tyre changer.
    Here is photo of the two Maxxis that are now being retired together with one of the new Rotella tyre.

I normally wear my tyres down to the wear indication flats, sometimes a wee bit more

Reasonably good and cheap tyre the Rotalla. Paid only £28 for each shipping from Germany included. Hope this set will last another seven years.

My China £43 tyre changer:

It came with a tyre changing bar for steel wheels. This one would damage my alloy rims so I made a special tyre changing bar out of stainless steel:

Cut a piece off my wifeís cutting board for bar to slide on at outer circumference of rim when fitting tyre onto rim. Made the nylon rollers out of round solid bar. These roll against rim outer.

Aluminium roller contacts tyre bead without causing any damage.

Right end of bar has a special roller for unmounting tyres.

Works perfectly causing no rim damage not even marks.
    Last edited by tolsen; 25-08-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    That ply/cord showing is nothing to do with how the tyre was fitted. It's just worn down past the tread. They look like both tyres have worn on the outside edges, whcih suggests they have been slightly under inflated for most of their life.
    Agreed I don't think that is fitting damage either, just a very badly worn tyre. It's quite common to get the cords initially showing only in one or two places as the rubber thickness gets down to the last few microns.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    Agreed I don't think that is fitting damage either, just a very badly worn tyre. It's quite common to get the cords initially showing only in one or two places as the rubber thickness gets down to the last few microns.
    They were not badly worn but almost worn down to the wear indicators.

It's a shame you haven't fitted them correctly!

My understanding is that the red dot is supposed to be aligned with the valve - but I stand to be corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by bob-in-dav View Post
    It's a shame you haven't fitted them correctly!

My understanding is that the red dot is supposed to be aligned with the valve - but I stand to be corrected!
    Yellow dot maybe (as that indicates the light part of the tyre, the red indicates max radial runout)

Itís complicated http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...erve-a-purpose
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!