Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: smart cdi starting problems...HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Unhappy smart cdi starting problems...HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

help me, I am crazy with car.

SO, I have smart cdi, 2003, 60000miles. Before 4 month I drive on freeway for one hour, speed 120kmh, outside temp around 28C-hot day. Engine get hot to 120C, so I cool it down and turn off for 10 minutes. When I try to start engine, starter turn over but no fire up. After 20 times cranking engine start with allot black smoke. To this days, I CANT START ENGINE NORMALLY. No smoke, no nothing, but when running idle is perfect, run perfect, never stall. Symptoms: starter turns but no crank. Last two days in the morning outside temp is around 14C and engine start fine but after several minutes driving no start again. Sometimes I can recognize little and several air bubbles in fuel lines but this is not reason for hard starting like this.
    I check:
    1. compression test, 16bar, 26bar, 26bar
    2. computer diagnostics OK
    3. battery OK
    4. starter OK
    5. new camshaft sensor
    6. injectors tested and is like new (both injection and return)
    7. no smoke
    8. power OK
    9. no oil consumption
    10. fuel pressure at idle 240bar, on starting 370bar (OK i think)
    11. new fuel filter
    12. new air filter
    13. new termostat
    14. new glow plugs

What to do people??? I am crazy, I check everything, my pocket is empty.
    This low compression on one cylinder is last thing but why engine sometime start ok even is hot???

if someone really want to help me here is another thread on smart forum:
    http://www.smartmaniacs.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=66106

thanks thanks thanks
    Last edited by foler; 01-10-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Does the CDi have a TDC sensor like the petrol engines? The petrol engine have the sensor just below the throttle body going into the clutch bell housing close to the block.

Some of your symptoms are the same for a faulty TDC sensor (on a petrol) - maybe if you have such a sensor, taking it out and cleaning in might help. If it does help, consider replacing it in the near future even though the one for the petrol engine is quite expensive, far better than having it die again at some inopportune moment.

John

I think you have covered everything except the map. Perhaps your car has been remapped. Another member had a start problem which turned out to be caused by a bad remap. Installing original map cured the problem. Further details in this thread.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

The one thing that couldn't be caused by a bad remap on an engine with fixed valve timing would be that compression problem on one cylinder. Something well out of spec there, quite possibly related.
    John
    2011 Pulse CDi

Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    The one thing that couldn't be caused by a bad remap on an engine with fixed valve timing would be that compression problem on one cylinder. Something well out of spec there, quite possibly related.
    That is not the problem. I can unplug one injector and engine still starts regardless.

It can't be helping though, one cylinder at 232 and the other two at 377 means that one's more than 50% down, which means that there is a problem somewhere and that needs to be addressed regardless of the other issue. Yes, I get that it would still run, but such a worrying loss of compression on one when there are only three to start with will affect the way it runs.
    John
    2011 Pulse CDi

Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    one cylinder at 232 and the other two at 377 means that one's more than 50% down
    No it doesn't, the single duff cylinder would have to be 188 to be more than 50% down on the others at 377

It can't be helping though
    That wants looking at but it wouldn't stop it from starting
    starter turns but no crank
    Surely this is just being lost in translation?, when it fails to start it is actually turning it over like normal, just that it doesn't fire up?

It's gotta be electrical, have you checked the ECU connectors?
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Hang on a minute - I though one of the nice things about a Diesel was that it did NOT require electricity to make it run. Once you had the engine turning it would work. Now the only point at which electricity comes in to play on a modern diesel is that it is required to "fire" the injectors at the right time.
    On the MB STAR diagnostics, there is the ability (on petrol) to monitor the actual values of various things in real time. I wonder if fuel injectors are among them? Then a test could be done when the engine is cold (when it apparent works). The same test could be run when it is warm to prove or disprove that it is the injector circuit at fault. The O/P states the injectors have been test OK, so it must be the circuit which drives them that is at fault. the fact it is heat related, doesn't that suggests that a cable runs to close to something that gets hot? Or that a sensor which might determine when the injectors fire is getting hot and then misbehaving?

John

yesterday I try to start cold engine (20C outside temp) 4 times across day and it turn ok Today I try to start it in the morning and again strated ok. Drive it for 3 minutes, turn off, turn on after 10sec and everything is ok. BUTTTTTTT, I try to start it this morning when outside temp is maybe 8C and again NO START!!! Starter work but engine simple wont react, like NO FUEL injections from some reason. Engine simple dont try to start, no "shaking", only starter rotate #"death" engine. New crankshaft sensor and no luck. RPM gauge show that engine rotate. Maybe to disconnect electric connector to injectors and measure voltage?? If I get 0V something is wrong.

Have your Smart been remapped and if it has, do you have any details of this map? Who did it? When done? Did problem appear after remapping?