Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: smart cdi starting problems...HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Have your Smart been remapped and if it has, do you have any details of this map? Who did it? When done? Did problem appear after remapping?
    Digressing slightly you mention on the other thread a change to the MOT rendering remaps illegal.

Can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    Digressing slightly you mention on the other thread a change to the MOT rendering remaps illegal.

Can you elaborate?
    Any vehicle that has a remap/chip will and can be failed under the new MOT proposals. Vehicles are built to a type approval standard and when chipped some EU countries believe this defeats the object of the approval in regards to emissions.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Have your Smart been remapped and if it has, do you have any details of this map? Who did it? When done? Did problem appear after remapping?
    I dont know. Remap cant switch good or bad several times across day. But why one time engine start normally and after several minutes wont start? My problems starting in the moment when engine overheating at 120C on 1 hour trip before several month. After this time non-stop starting problems. Liltle chance is that remap is gone exactly at this day. Like something is halfway working so engine litle work litle not. I suspect fuel injection because engine dont react on starter.

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    No it doesn't, the single duff cylinder would have to be 188 to be more than 50% down on the others at 377...?
    Begging your pardon chief, but 232+50%=348, so the deficit is, as stated, greater than 50%.
    John
    2011 Pulse CDi

Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    Begging your pardon chief, but 232+50%=348, so the deficit is, as stated, greater than 50%.
    Apology accepted

You surely refer to the original pressure (or level) as your baseline when making comparisons like this, What you're saying is like saying all that a pint pot which is 2/3 full, only needs 50% more to make it full again. (It does when you use the 2/3 as your 100% baseline, but is in fact a 1/3 missing)

The duff cylinder compression is ~39% down from the baseline of 377
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by foler View Post
    I dont know. Remap cant switch good or bad several times across day. But why one time engine start normally and after several minutes wont start? My problems starting in the moment when engine overheating at 120C on 1 hour trip before several month. After this time non-stop starting problems. Liltle chance is that remap is gone exactly at this day. Like something is halfway working so engine litle work litle not. I suspect fuel injection because engine dont react on starter.
    So long to the remap theory then.
    Perhaps you should confirm whether injectors are injecting next time engine does not wish to start.
    A) The surest way is to pull an injector and connect it up such that you can observe its nozzle while you crank engine.
    Other methods are all indirect:
    B) Disconnect a leak oil connector to an injector and blank off leak oil connector. Leak oil will only flow out of leak oil connection on the injector if injector is being energized, i.e. injecting. The leak oil flow is not great so you may need to crank 15 - 20 turns before leak oil becomes visible.
    C) Monitoring signal to injector. Can be done with an oscilloscope or perhaps a multimeter or a simply a test lamp. Expect voltage to be rather high.

SAGA IS ended. RESOLVED. My valves seats is destroyed and engine cant have good compression. This is reason for hard starting. So, I repair cylinder head, new piston rings, rod bearings, oil....and now engine work properly. I spend almost same money for trying to identify problem and for rebuild. Uhhh, big mistake. I never will have again diesel engine.

Please, mark this thread RESOLVED.

Good news but strange this did not show on compression test or perhaps no proper compression test was ever carried out.

Didn't the first post state there was one cylinder with low compression? It was not considered a problem that would prevent starting, BUT given that he valves were damaged maybe what was happening was that a low temperatures the valves provided a good enough seal to allow a good start, then when it warmed up, the gaps increased resulting in so much compression loss that it would not start.

John

On first compression test I have one cylinder bad. On second test after I spend $$$$ on diagnostics, two cylinder have bad compression. In this moment I know that I dont have any more choice than engine rebuild. To bad for me because I simply dont want to admit fact that my engine is in bad state.