Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: smart cdi starting problems...HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

You say seats are bad. Normally the valves burn out before the seats. Do you have photos of seats and valves? I assume exhaust valves were worst, right? Have you identified the cause for bad seats? This should not happen with hydraulic tappets.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Our seats get quite warm.....but it's good in winter...

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    You say seats are bad. Normally the valves burn out before the seats. Do you have photos of seats and valves? I assume exhaust valves were worst, right? Have you identified the cause for bad seats? This should not happen with hydraulic tappets.
    I dont have pictures. Exhaust valves is worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Or_GazM View Post
    Our seats get quite warm.....but it's good in winter...
    Yea, my is gone in hot day on highway.

I think I can now explain your intermittent start problem. The engine had low compression on number one cylinder. I think engine had difficulty synchronizing. These engine do not have any cam shaft position sensor. Cam shaft position is therefore sensed by the increase in resistance at compression stroke. This method only works on a single and three cylinder engine. Having low compression on number one cylinder will make it harder for ECU to feel its compression stroke and engine may fail to synchronize.

So what can be done?
    1) Restore compression on number one cylinder - possible but takes time, effort and parts. Re-bore and new pistons will be required if one cylinder is worn.
    2) Fool ECU to synchronize on a good cylinder. Will require lengthening of the leads to injectors. Will it work? I don't know but there sure is a way to find out - try!

TK. I have responded to your post on Vainiacs.
    Good piece of detective work!

A) The surest way is to pull an injector and connect it up such that you can observe its nozzle while you crank engine.
    This has to come with a warning.
    Under no circumstance put any part of your body near the injector tip (or vice versa). At the elevated pressures involved you will experience what is termed ''hydraulic injection'' where the Diesel will be blasted straight through your skin into your flesh. The resulting poisoning requires amputation to remedy.
    Take great care not to allow this to happen.

And the nozzles are so fine you can block them just by touching the ends, even if they're not in use... Take care when refitting.

2) Fool ECU to synchronize on a good cylinder. Will require lengthening of the leads to injectors. Will it work? I don't know but there sure is a way to find out - try!
    Perhaps easier said than done. TDC sensor probably will have to be moved 120 degrees for above to work.

problem solved with general rebuild engine. compression is low.

BUT; NOW I HAVE NEW PROBLEM. WHEN I TURN KEY FOR STARTING, I CAN ONLY HEAR CLICK. After 5-7 attempt engine start ok. Sometimes engine turn over very slowly but rare and wont start. No any signal light warning.

Sounds like you need to clean the starter motor and the connections to it.

The connections are not the best available!

John