Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear ARB bush - Powerflex

Rear ARB bush - Powerflex

I was just fitting some Powerflex rear anti roll bar bushes and I thought I'd compare them to the original to see how much the original one had worn and stretched by.

To my surprise, the Powerflex bush is a lot bigger internally than the OEM smart one.

I'm guessing it shouldn't be this big and so something is probably wrong. Powerflex only sell one rear anti roll bar bush and so it isn't a case of them sending the wrong one.

The only thing I can think at the moment is that possibly the Cabrio has a thicker anti roll bar than the Coupe. Ultra racing sell upgraded anti roll bars and their Cabrio one is 16mm when the Coupe one is only 14mm. Therefore Powerflex might have not realised and made the mould for the Cabrio bushes.

I'm going to contact Powerflex tomorrow before I carry on fitting them but was wondering if anyone else thinks they shouldn't be that much bigger than the smart ones?

Last edited by JakeMM; 08-08-2011 at 06:57 PM.

I've just had a look in Mercedes EPC and it appears there's 2 rear anti roll bars!

There's a 13mm one for the Cabrio (which the Powerflex bush is sized to) and then there's an 11mm one which I presume is for the Coupe.

Both bars show up when clicking on Smart Cabrio, so I'm taking this to mean that they are interchangable

If they are interchangeable, it'll be great to have an OEM upgade available.

The Ultraracing Coupe upgaded bar is 14mm and so there still will be a slight benefit in going for it, but I'll find out the price of the OEM one first so I can compare them.

For what they are, Powerflex bushes are incredibly expensive.
    We (as smartmods) will be making our own polyurethane bushes very soon.
    Just gonna get the originals to copy in poly.

They definitely are! I luckily got a cheaper price for ordering a complete set but it was still over 200. As I'd just spent almost 1000 on a KW coilover kit, the bushes seemed cheap in comparison but it's only when I got them did the costs sink in. The one I'm holding in the pic above is 18! The wishbone ones work out 100 for 4 too which is crazy.

I'm planning to wreck the rear crossbar bushes and wishbone ones removing them but you're welcome to my old antiroll bar bushes front and rear. I'll probably have them available next week and can post them if you want them, or just give them to you at the smart festival?

Also just as an update, I've just ordered the larger rear anti-roll bar and will let you know what it's like when I fit it.

Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    There's a 13mm one for the Cabrio (which the Powerflex bush is sized to) and then there's an 11mm one which I presume is for the Coupe.

Both bars show up when clicking on Smart Cabrio, so I'm taking this to mean that they are interchangable

If they are interchangeable, it'll be great to have an OEM upgade available.
    Well spotted Jake!
    If you can find the price of the Ultra Racing bar..... And are they Chinese? If so, I'm not sure I'd trust the material quality.

Also just as an update, I've just ordered the larger rear anti-roll bar and will let you know what it's like when I fit it.
    How soon?

The Ultra Racing bar is Malaysian. I haven't got a recent price but last year was quoted 135 when we had 15% VAT. I now expect it to be about 140, maybe 145 to 150 including delivery.

I enquired with one of two UK suppliers yesterday and they said they won't be placing an order until their stocks are lower. JJ did order some of their strut braces and I believe waited a few months for them to arrive!

The smart upgraded ARB by comparison was 27 plus VAT! It's a special order part from Germany but should be here in 4 working days. I'm away from this Thurs until I think Monday but I'm hoping to collect and fit it pretty soon after I get back (hopefully that same week)

They are on eBay via a seller. A front anti roll, strut brace front and rear too. That supplier may be able to get the rear one.

The eBay seller is the same company as the one that JMM is talking about. I have fitted a UR front bar to my Roadster and it was very well made.

Not to worry about the bushes, we are going to order all of them from smart.

ARB might be worthwhile (even if Fortwo handling improvements are akin to polishing a turd! ) but the strut braces strike me as a waste of time (or a fashion accessory) in something as small and rigid as a Smart.

Do you have the part number of the biggest oem rear bar please?

Thanks

The Ultra Racing bar is Malaysian. I haven't got a recent price but last year was quoted 135 when we had 15% VAT. I now expect it to be about 140, maybe 145 to 150 including delivery.

I enquired with one of two UK suppliers yesterday and they said they won't be placing an order until their stocks are lower. JJ did order some of their strut braces and I believe waited a few months for them to arrive!

The smart upgraded ARB by comparison was 27 plus VAT! It's a special order part from Germany but should be here in 4 working days. I'm away from this Thurs until I think Monday but I'm hoping to collect and fit it pretty soon after I get back (hopefully that same week)