Thread: Diesel 799cc Engine Mods? Where are they?

Hybrid View

Diesel 799cc Engine Mods? Where are they?

Hi all

New to the site, just bought my 2001 Smart Fortwo 799cc Turbo-Diesel last weekend.

I'm currently looking for some small parts to fix it up, so far i've only installed a new K&N Filter. Ive done some searching and there arent many options for the Smart 799cc Diesel motor, can anybody point me in the right direction??

It would be great if you could point me to silicone TIK pipe and intercooler hoses, a Dump Valve, and anything else i can upgrade my engine with.

Thanks in Advance! - Frank

Alas there is no such thins as silicone tik pipe or intercooler hoses, and the dump valve for a diesel would be a recirculating one so you wouldn't hear it...

Your tik pipe already has an internal diameter petrol smart owners dream of (no I'm not joking it's much much bigger than even a brabus pipe)
    The intercooler pipes are all rubber any way as there is more of them than on the petrol versions.

The only upgrade you have is a remap and a free flow exhaust which does make a large difference, as for places to get them from I'm afraid the net is your friend...

Big Performance is your friend.
    Talk to us about your requirements as we have everything you want including the air intake pipe and intercooler pipes in Silicon
    Last edited by Big Performance; 16-10-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

@2minits Thank you for the information, well thats good news for me As for the remap, I live in Switzerland and they are strict in terms of modifying anything and i would assume cars as well, where or how can i get this done myself? Where can i get all the necessary parts to do it? OR is there some sort of Power Programmer or chip that anyone would recommend?

Tuning boxes are a waste of time. Read more about them here if you have the time.
    Cheapest "mod" you can do to get more power out of your Smart is to keep everything in good tune. Brakes not binding, wheel geometry right so not plowing along the road etc etc. Inlet duct and intercooler gets clogged up with dirt, oil and soot. Require removal of inlet manifold, intercooler and all ducts to do a proper clean. Seal off exhaust supply to EGR valve on exhaust manifold to avoid further soot clogging up inlet manifold. Running crankcase breather gases to an oil catch tank avoids oil building up in intercooler and inlet ducting. Renew rubber seal at connection of TIK pipe to turbo. The rubber seal would have swollen over the years effectively blocking air flow to compressor wheel. Renew thermostat and fit a restrictor plug in cooling circuit. Ensures engine gets quicker up to operating temperature.
    On my Cdi, cleaning up the inlet system was the best preventative maintenance I've ever done. The power increase was quite dramatic and so was the improvement in fuel economy. A remap will increase power further but better restoring the power that is available first.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

If you want performance the easiest thing to do is don't buy a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by evilution View Post
    If you want performance the easiest thing to do is don't buy a diesel.
    I disagree. There is better performance out of a diesel in good tune particularly at lower revs. And the bonus is the very good mpg and nearly nil risk of being torched alive in an accident.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG