Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plug lead removal tool.

Plug lead removal tool.

Hi,

I am new to this list. My other cars are a 1962 Citroen ID 19 with only 83,500 km from new, and a SAAB 9000 Anniversary, both great cars, yet the Smart is something so different. Mine is a Cabriolet "Grandstyle" and I am fascinated by the character and ability of this strange little thing.

Today I thought I should hazzard a plug change, as the history of servicing is unknown to me and the mileage when I bought it was 43500. I assembled the correct plugs, 16mm socket and a plug lead puller and began by dismantling the rear panel and crash bar. A bit of a business yet straightforward enough. Then, using my Smart plug lead remover I inserted it blindly, twisted to find the "ears" and pulled, sometimes with all my strength. At great length and in the end, I managed the entire job, but I wasn't convinced I was using the best lead tool. There must be something better out there. Incidentelly, my lower plugs were black around the electrodes, the upper 3 more coffee coloured. All of them were tight to remove and I thought dark thoughts of threads being stripped,. However they all came out on their long reach threads and on reassembly I used copper grease.

The difference by the way of a Citroen DS over pot holes and speed bumps compared to a Smart, just doesn't bear thinking about, yet conversely, nor does the petrol consumption. I seem to get 63 mpg on a run in the Smart if I don't exceed about 60 mph (Citroen nearer to 25 mpg)

I like the heated cream leather seats and the ease of access and "big car" feel. Just have to get used to the fore and aft piching over the smallest of road imperfections. I think a Smart with the oleo-pneumatic self levelling suspension of a Citroen could be a wonderful mod. I'll bet it could be done too

(but I 'll stick to changing the plugs and other routine stuff.

If anyone can suggest a better plug lead removal tool, I shall be looking out for one in another 20,000 miles,

Best wishes,

Paul

Welcome along Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by '06 Grandstyle View Post
    I think a Smart with the oleo-pneumatic self levelling suspension of a Citroen could be a wonderful mod. I'll bet it could be done too
    l
    My thoughts exactly! MB should be making Maybach suspension technology availabe to smart, after all, without small cars selling, no large ones can be sold either under CAFE regs, though the Middle East doesn't trifle itself with such concerns. Having had a 2CV in the past, I have at least some notion of what Citroen are capable of when it come to bump absorption. The oleo-pneumatic cars must be other wordly. The smart rides like a bicycle, but paradoxically doesn't much worsen with stiffer lower springs and the reduced wallowing I find more comfortable.

I have only used the smart tool, so cannot comment on the others which may be better, but at least the smart one fits the 'ears'.

I agree about the tool...something more like a "cork-screw opener with a lever against the bottle" would make the job a lot easier!
    At one point, I thought I was gonna lift the whole engine out!

Black bottom, coffee top is about normal I think. When the top ones are black, then it's time to worry.

Thanks for the interesting replies. However, a Norwegian Troll points out about plugs: "Black bottom, coffee top is about normal I think. When the top ones are black, then it's time to worry"

Why might black top, coffee bottom be normal I wonder? I'd prefer all coffee myself.

I've now changed the oil, filter and also the air filter for an ITG sticky cylindrical substitute. This along with the plugs would seem to be a basic service, but apart from levels and pressures etc, are there any further points anew Smart owner should attend to please?

My old ID 19 has at least 10 grease points as well as oilers for the water pump and dynamo. It is a positive pleasure to attend to (and as for the plugs they are a 5 minute job) Not onlt that, it is a beautiful car, one whose lines you (I mean I) never tire of.

The SAAB never seems to need anything doing to it and is quite characterless in that respect !

Best wishes,

Paul

If the car is an 06 as suggested by your username and with the uncertainty of what's (not) been done before, I'd do a proper brake fluid change , including having them done whilst on the diagnostics machine to pulse the ABS pump to fully change/flush the fluid.
    You'll not only be getting rid of the cruddy fluid near the calipers but you'll be looking after your (very expensive) ABS pump as best you can by giving it new fluid.
    I'd also go with a coolant change for the same reasons, your engine will like you for it.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

"My thoughts exactly! MB should be making Maybach suspension technology availabe to smart, after all, without small cars selling, no large ones can be sold either under CAFE regs, though the Middle East doesn't trifle itself with such concerns. Having had a 2CV in the past, I have at least some notion of what Citroen are capable of when it come to bump absorption"

Pinger wrote this and I realise I don't know what "CAFE" regulations are. Nothing to do with the colour of my lower 3 plugs though.............

Yes my car is an '06 Grandstyle Convertible. Just looking at it makes me smile, driving it is more an ear to ear expression.

Thanks for two useful pieces of advice Reinaldo; I'm in St Albans. Is there someone called Rob (formerly or presently of Smartarse ?) in Watford or somewhere in Herts ? I'd take the car to him for the brake fluid change.

I don't know what "CAFE" regulations are..
    Corporate Average Fuel Economy. As implemented in Western countries, a manufacture'rs range of vehicles must reach a certain average value, hence the Aston Martin Sygnet for example.
    Changed recently to reflect actual sales, not just available models, it is focusing the manufacturers of high end (read profitable) cars minds.

levels and pressures etc, are there any further points anew Smart owner should attend to please?

l
    You have to be very careful with the engine oil level. Firstly, it needs checking much more frequently than on other cars. Secondly, it requires checking on absolutely level ground due to the offset dipstick position. Thirdly, do not fill to the max mark - some way short will suffice.

Thanks. This confirms what I have learned and importantly not to overfill with engine oil. With a Pela pump I sucked out some undoubtedly ancient oil, black as black, and was glad to have done that. The car has not been loved in a previous life (but it is now) Feel I have adopted a neglected child. (well the Smart was bought off eBay and at a good price I thought)

Thanks. This confirms what I have learned and importantly not to overfill with engine oil. With a Pela pump I sucked out some undoubtedly ancient oil, black as black, and was glad to have done that. The car has not been loved in a previous life (but it is now) Feel I have adopted a neglected child. (well the Smart was bought off eBay and at a good price I thought)
    It'll be black within 50 miles of it being changed, it doesn't show that it's been neglected.

Thanks for two useful pieces of advice Reinaldo; I'm in St Albans. Is there someone called Rob (formerly or presently of Smartarse ?) in Watford or somewhere in Herts ? I'd take the car to him for the brake fluid change.
    Rob at S2smarts (site sponsor)

Just a polite nod, if you press the 'reply with quote' button, it'll separate what they said from what you're posting, makes it much easier for us to read!

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel
    Nellie - 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander