Thread: Engine oil top up - how often??

Engine oil top up - how often??

I have had my smart car for almost 6 months. Have done just shy of 2000 miles , yet the engine oil still doesn't need topping up. It's still very near the top of the dip stick.

When I first bought a smart I was worried about how much engine oil it would drink and the constant checks etc. yet it seems pretty good to me.

How often do you have to top up the oil in your smart?

Unless it very high milage, it should never need topping up, it will only need topping up if the engine is worn and burning it, or you have a leak, if the engine is burning oil that then cause's other problems which can get expensive, IE burnt valves = loss of power and missfire = engine rebuild, keep its sevice up to date and use good oil and you should have no prob's

Ours has done around 50,000 miles, and I've never had to top it up between services yet....I check regularly (about every 3 months or so)....

Near the top of the stick is actually a little high...check it when at running temp, and keep the level JUST above the middle mark. Too much oil is as bad as too little in a Smart.

It's pretty much a little above 3/4 of the way up the dipstick. It's good to hear that it won't need topping up between services. Another 8000 miles to go then!

Quote Originally Posted by Or_GazM View Post
    .check it when at running temp,
    Yip, this is in the manual. You check it when the engine temp is on at least 2 blobs, and on a flat surface. But if it is isn't using oil, then YAY! Keep an eye on it, change the oil regularly half way between services) and be sympathetic to the engine and you should be grand
    Smartz Admin staff member - Here to help!

Having a smart is only the beginning, so why not join in with the community?

I don't try to drive economically and this is the result:

Spritmonitor.de

Ive got a CDi, done 3700 miles, no appreciable loss of oil so far, or gain (!!) which if my reasoning is correct could occur if the DPF recycle was not executed properly, i.e. ecu demanding more fuel to do the burn off, but said fuel ending up in the sump. This happened to a mate of mine, engine oil kept increasing due to frequent short journeys. (SAAB diesel)

My Roadie never used a drop and the oil was golden and fresh as new every time I changed it, not even any appreciable darkening.

Took the big car for a service this week and checked the oil beforehand (and after, obviously) and even after 10k it looked like new. Diesels typically soot up oil pretty quick, but unless you're driving something with monster intervals, these days cars don't seem to even blacken oil.