Thread: windscreen wipers stopped working and radio problems

windscreen wipers stopped working and radio problems

Hi,

I was out today, and my windscreen was a bit grubby so I tried to clean it with the wipers. The weather at the moment is like -10 so I can imagine the water is frozen (I don't think I put enough anti-freeze in).

Anyway, when I pulled the stick towards me to get water, the radio turned itself off, no whirling noise of the motor trying to get water out and the windscreen wipers didn't move at all.

I tried to just move the windscreen wipers by pushing the stick up once ... nothing.

I have checked the fuse and it hasn't blown.

Also, the radio doesn't turn on when I switch the car on, and doesn't turn off when I turn the car off - it used to turned on and off accordingly.

Any clues as to what it could be? It's a 2009 model.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just looked at the common fault thread:

"5. Wiper stalk not working and stereo not turning on or off with the ignition - This is fuse 20 blowing out, possibly due to the window washer pump. Requires replacement. If you don't have fog lights, you can use fuse 5, but remember to replace it again."

I know I probably sound like a stupid person right now, but could this be it?
    Last edited by dgirllamius; 02-02-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Being in Germany, you should have better ideas about temps than those people in UK.
    -10C is a "mild winter".......
    You should be using "pure" screen-wash rated down to at least -18C (some go to -25C).

Wipers may have been frozen to the screen, and could have burned the motor out (not uncommen), and the wash motor, if in a frozen bottle, could also be ruined.
    Check ALL fuses....not just the one labelled as "Wipers"....Look for one labelled "Aux" or something similar
    Last edited by Or_GazM; 02-02-2012 at 07:39 PM.

I've only lived in Germany for a year and a half, so I'm not familiar with how cold it really gets here. Last year was nothing compared to this.

Anyway, I did what the other thread said and it was indeed the fuse 20 blown. Swapped it over from 5 like suggested.

Hi, My wife's Smart (09) 4-2 suffered the same issue this weekend - it was minus 12 here Sat night. Used the screenwash Sat - nothing happened and forgot about it. Come Mon morn, no wipers. Wiper fuse (2) OK but screenwash etc fuse (20) blown. This is one of those 'mini fuse's, 10 amp (red) . Temp swapped with no 5 (fog lamps). All tickety-boo. Thanks dgirllamius - that'll save a few bob at Mercedes. MW

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by martinwinlow View Post
    Hi, My wife's Smart (09) 4-2 suffered the same issue this weekend - it was minus 12 here Sat night. Used the screenwash Sat - nothing happened and forgot about it. Come Mon morn, no wipers. Wiper fuse (2) OK but screenwash etc fuse (20) blown. This is one of those 'mini fuse's, 10 amp (red) . Temp swapped with no 5 (fog lamps). All tickety-boo. Thanks dgirllamius - that'll save a few bob at Mercedes. MW
    Old thread but today I too had the same problem. Only this time my pioneer avic sat nav, heated seats, Ac and wipers all stopped working.

As mentioned above by dgirllamjus, swapped fuse 20 (10amp) withfuse no 5. All started to work again.

Thank you Dg for the suggestion.

Now I wonder how much it would have cost at the garage.

Start with 40 to hook up on scanner...and the list goes on and on.