Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting out! - anyone else had it & cured it?

Somebody get this guy a prize or something. Quality posts back-to-back, day-in, day-out.

Top posts Tolsen. (Genuinely no sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by StevRS View Post
    Somebody get this guy a prize or something. Quality posts back-to-back, day-in, day-out.

Top posts Tolsen. (Genuinely no sarcasm)
    I agree
    Last edited by Tardis; 20-07-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Another possibility regarding the cutting out:- Crank position sensor. - Don't buy from a main dealer though, you will pay lots for something you can get elsewhere for around 20~25.

John

Fault codes found

BIG THANKS to bob-in-dav for the diagnostics to point me in the right direction (results below) any ideas welcome...

After...
    Last edited by Tardis; 24-07-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Smaller pics
    Neil
    2003 Silver-Pulse Coupe 700 Turbo

"It feels bigger inside - like a Tardis!"

If not chafed/damaged/fractured cables to and from the engine control unit (ECU), then I'd be suspecting poor connections to and from the same - either dirty/contaminated connectors or poor soldering on the ECU board connectors
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 24-07-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

The problem is that you do not know how old the faults are. You can gain a lot more useful information by clearing them then reading again in a few days.

The "No can bus message" is very common and the single bar on the dash more or less says that. I still suspect the earth lead, you haven't reported back on that, not that I can find anyway. "Wrong odometer reading" is a rare one but it may have been from a long time ago before you got the car and for sure would not cause any bad doings as far as running goes.

There is not even a single active fault code. All are historical.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    There is not even a single active fault code. All are historical.
    I think you will only have historical with intermittent faults.

Well, after having the old codes cleared & a new clip on the turbo, it drove home like a dream. Went to work & back without missing a beat.

Got home & cleaned the main earth points in the engine bay with wire brush & hand file. Then moved to the plugs on the back of the speedo. The main plug seemed fine but the green rev counter plug doesn't seem very secure! Is this normal??? Anyway, nipped up the shop, but on returning, as I pulled away, it again died as if it got confused about what gear it should use, & just shut down. I just sat there for about 30 secs while it made up it's mind what to do, then it chose 1st (previously in Auto) so selected N to start & drove home (with the ESP warning light on)
    Last edited by Tardis; 25-07-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    Neil
    2003 Silver-Pulse Coupe 700 Turbo

"It feels bigger inside - like a Tardis!"

Well to me it still points to a meg problem, possibly power or earth but maybe the data lines I suppose.

If the SAM is confused about what gear it is in then for some reason the MEG has either not told it right or told it right then rebooted maybe so it is no longer where it thinks it is. I think the auto mode comes from the MEG but is requested from the SAM on the can bus.