Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting out! - anyone else had it & cured it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    ... The main plug seemed fine but the green rev counter plug doesn't seem very secure! Is this normal??? (
    Kindly explain in greater detail which green plug this is. You mean engine speed (TDC) sensor? Green? Should be black?
    Have you now read ECU for fault codes?
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

If you have disconnected the battery or taken the speedo to pieces and unplugged any of the connections there, you WILL get CAN-BUS errors showing in the logs.
    The fact it dies suddenly suggests electrical. Do the lights on the dash go out? Maybe take to driving with the lights on to illuminate at least on light on the dash. If the lights goes out then you must be losing all electrical power. Diagnostics should then start from the battery and work their way back.
    I would stick a multimeter on the battery leads so you can see the battery voltage real time. Should be up when engine is running and charging, but might throw a blip when it dies?

John

No quite the opposite, when it dies, the dash lights up like a christmas tree, just as it does when you 1st switch on the ignition

As for driving with the lights on, that's a sore point as I must have one of those early mk7s that can't switch off the DRLs :-(
    Neil
    2003 Silver-Pulse Coupe 700 Turbo

"It feels bigger inside - like a Tardis!"

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Kindly explain in greater detail which green plug this is. You mean engine speed (TDC) sensor? Green? Should be black?
    Have you now read ECU for fault codes?
    Hi tolsen, sorry mate, it's the green rev counter connector on the back of the speedo that is slightly loose, even though it does "click" into place with it's retaining clips!
    Neil

Angry

Just come home from work, stopped for fuel on way. Came back out & sat there for 4-5 minutes with the 1 line CAN BUS ERROR flashing at me. When it did eventually start, I got the ESP light all the way home!

Starting to really do my head in!!!

Not got time at the mo to do another 100 mile round trip to see if any new codes have appeared
    Neil

Next time you have the speedo apart, try using some tape or better still some "hot" glue to hold the connectors in place. The Can-bus error could be down to a loose connection which falls apart due to bumps.

Really does sound like you are losing ALL power long enough for the engine to die, but then getting it back so it shows all the dash lights.

Can you drive with the SAM / ZEE unit hanging down? That might put a tension on wires to keep them connected.

John

Hit a pothole on way to work this morning, management light came on, then it cut out, then only had oil & battery lights come on, no CAN-BUS error!

Think my car is possessed....
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    Hit a pothole on way to work this morning, management light came on, then it cut out, then only had oil & battery lights come on, no CAN-BUS error!

Think my car is possessed....
    Hi Neil

That really does suggest a dodgy connector somewhere! Don't be afraid to drop the SAM unit down and out of its mounting - it looks daunting but all the plugs are colour coded and keyed so I don't think you can put any of them back in the wrong place.

Really closely examine the connectors and the wiring close to the plugs - if Digitec sell repair kits for several of the SAM unit connectors you can bet there's a reason for them to be stocking such items.

Not sure if this link will work but I did a search on Digitec for "wiring" because I had seen these before when looking for something else -
    http://www.smart-stuff.co.uk/index.asp?function=SEARCH

Also - a thought I had the other day was to unplug that green rev counter plug that you suspect - my silver Passion had the plug but no rev counter - the green one was taped back onto the loom (I think!)

Keep the faith!

PS - I've got some springs and the kit to change them if you keep hitting potholes - suspect you forgot what you were driving - buses just go stright over them and Smarts fall in lol
    Last edited by bob-in-dav; 27-07-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Read the heading to the thread and had to have a 2nd take, I thought it said 'Coming out anyone'!!

Thanks bob, have already had the sam out & stripped it down to the pcb! When I had the car, I found a plastic clip in the ashtray - this turned out to be the securing clip that held the sam in place - can only presume some gorilla broke it off trying to get the unit out. So, don't know how long the sam had been bouncing around, before I got it???

Not sure what sort of plastic the sam case is made from, but not even Q-Bond would glue the clip back on

As for falling into a pothole, it was just a sunken manhole, maybe an inch or two deep, but felt like I'd jumped off a kerb!

I am looking to lower my pulse (in more ways than one) but that is in the dim & distant future - after I sort this problem out & can trust it. Due to go on holiday in it in a few weeks so need to get it fixed!

XTEN10 - Erm... think you want a different sort of forum mate
    Neil