Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong size tyres fitted

Aren't there issues with brake switches and esp/abs faults...?

If they replaced/fiddled with lights is it not possible they knocked something? I remember someone certainly had a similar issue following an attempt to fit an incorrect light bulb
    RS133 CUP Black and White Id - gone
    RS200 EDC Deep Black

Good spot James.
    OP: This type of thing can happen if the bulb is incorrectly fitted. Simple to check.

Turns out they put the wrong size back tyres on so bob in dav you are correct. The Tyre place will be ordering in the correct size tyres. We had to rent a car for the weekend so we will be seeking compensation from the Tyre place. Funny enough it was the manager who ordered the tyres.

totally random now ....what are the biggest tyres i can put on my 450. 15" rims
    THINK BIKE..THINK BIKER

THINK SMART.....THINK ABZ o LUTELY SMART

EXPERIENCE THE SMARTNESS XX

Last winter I wanted some winter tyres for my Brab monoblocks. As you know they are hard enuf to get normal size front tyres let alone winter. So I bought 4 tyres with larger profiles all round but the same difference between front and back tyres if that makes sense, from memory 185 60 16 and rear 195 55 16. I did the batt disconnect too.

The car was ok going straight no probs but on a sharper right bend especially, like going around a roundabout, the abs would kick in. I think this was linked to the steering angle position sensor. Might be helpful to Someone

Quote Originally Posted by bob-in-dav View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem if all 4 tyres are changed to a larger or smaller size - the problem is when 2 are changed to a different size because the processor is looking for the same number of pulses from each corner (within parameters which account for tyre wear) two larger tyres will give fewer pulses for the same distance covered as two smaller tyres
    Interesting - I got my spare tyres mixed up and got a set of 70 profile tyres fitted to the rear - ABS light & other two come in at around 26/28 MPH and reset on each start.
    Sadly, its the wifes car so needs sorting as I know she will forget about lack of hill assist eventually...

Getting higher again profile fronts seems crazy and I can use the 70 profile rears on my other car but another question springs to mind:

Will 175/55 work, fitted to both Front and Rear wheels, please?

(according to owners manual; Standard rear but optional Front *with 195/50 rear)

Cheers - Frank

Quote Originally Posted by iconic944ss View Post
    Interesting - I got my spare tyres mixed up and got a set of 70 profile tyres fitted to the rear - ABS light & other two come in at around 26/28 MPH and reset on each start.
    Sadly, its the wifes car so needs sorting as I know she will forget about lack of hill assist eventually...

Getting higher again profile fronts seems crazy and I can use the 70 profile rears on my other car but another question springs to mind:

Will 175/55 work, fitted to both Front and Rear wheels, please?

(according to owners manual; Standard rear but optional Front *with 195/50 rear)

Cheers - Frank
    I ran 175/55 on the front and 195/50 on the rear at one point. Currently it has 195/50 front and rear so from a diameter matching perspective, there shouldn't be a problem.
    You will be deviating from smart's recommendations though. Maybe better to inform insurance company of the change.

Thanks.

To prove there was nothing wrong with ABS or rings (I had cleaned a lot of edge rust off the discs) - I just fitted some trial fronts to the rear - 175/50 profile. No issues or dash lights at all - back to normal.

So certainly a 5 lower profile is ok but a 15 profile more is too much - shame as it drove smooth with the 70's fitted.

Oh Hum.

When I was putting the Smartie alloys on my Brabus 450 I used this below to workout the tyre sizes / rolling circumference difference (so it didn't fall outside of the +/- 2% requirement):

https://alloywheels.com/tyreCalculatorResults2

I run 185/50 R16 on the front and 215/45 R16 +35mm spacers on the rear

IIRC disconnecting and reconnecting the battery can help the ECU learn new tyre sizes.