Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A smart joke.

Heisenberg probably rules OK

Yes indeed, well in principle

Quote Originally Posted by Or_GazM View Post
    Teckies will read certain threads, "normal" people just ignore them.....but when long, fancy words appear in a standard thread...it just confuses.
    YES..I like proper grammer, and punctation...but using simple words makes the sentence easier for all to read.
    You want short words? You'll get them. Four letters max. Appropriate response to someone advocating dumbing down.

Quote: ''Things should be made as simple as possible - but no simpler.'' (Einstein)

Can't be bothered? Too difficult? Try religion.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    You want short words? You'll get them. Four letters max. Appropriate response to someone advocating dumbing down.

Quote: ''Things should be made as simple as possible - but no simpler.'' (Einstein)

Can't be bothered? Too difficult? Try religion.
    "Religion" and "easy" are two words not to put into a sentence. Have you ever read any passages of the Bible (New Testment) and actually understood what it's trying to tell you?

Back onto to science, here's a simple one...

Q: What do you with dead atoms?

A: Barium

You could say owning a smart is like Schrödinger's cat theory...

Quote Originally Posted by H Palmer View Post
    Have you ever read any passages of the Bible (New Testment) and actually understood what it's trying to tell you?
    Yes! And I understood it. And realised it had zero relevance to real life.

eg: 'A menstruating women must cast a white dove from an open window to inform the world of her uncleanliness.' Of no relevance whatsoever.

My point however, was that some people seem to have cut-off points for knowledge. In much the same way as creationists have difficulty with physics. And grammar freaks have with 'big words'.
    (Apologies for the 'freak' word but 'aficionado' being longer may have caused upset).

Yes! And I understood it. And realised it had zero relevance to real life.

eg: 'A menstruating women must cast a white dove from an open window to inform the world of her uncleanliness.' Of no relevance whatsoever.

My point however, was that some people seem to have cut-off points for knowledge. In much the same way as creationists have difficulty with physics. And grammar freaks have with 'big words'.
    (Apologies for the 'freak' word but 'aficionado' being longer may have caused upset).
    Okay I get ya, it just came across differently for me.

I won't go into religion because I know it offends far too many people (which is a shame and that comes from both sides of the fence) but is there is a lot of relevant information in there for todays society, for example, the need for surrounding oneself in material goods to feel happy is unnecessary - you can be happy with what you've got.

I agree Sam that religion can be good for some people, and I'd never seek to deprive them of it. What is becoming harder to stomach is the fundamentalism shown by some religions (no names) and their desire to dictate to us with nothing more than scripture and an unquestioning belief in said scripture which has no provenence. Another discussion for another day though.

PS. I paraphrased from the Old Testament. I accept the New Testament is more in tune with real life.

I agree Sam that religion can be good for some people, and I'd never seek to deprive them of it. What is becoming harder to stomach is the fundamentalism shown by some religions (no names) and their desire to dictate to us with nothing more than scripture and an unquestioning belief in said scripture which has no provenence. Another discussion for another day though.

PS. I paraphrased from the Old Testament. I accept the New Testament is more in tune with real life.
    There are too many people that take religion too literally, I used to sit on the fence as an Agnostic but as I learned more about it and how many ways there are to believe I have begun to class myself as a Christian - I am not someone who would thrust it upon someone, if they wanted to know anything all they have to do is ask.

Quote Originally Posted by H Palmer View Post
    There are too many people that take religion too literally, I used to sit on the fence as an Agnostic but as I learned more about it and how many ways there are to believe I have begun to class myself as a Christian - I am not someone who would thrust it upon someone, if they wanted to know anything all they have to do is ask.
    One of the most brilliant things about this country is the way in which athiests/agnostics and the religious coexist with mutual respect, and with tolerance sufficient to embrace the odd jibe from time to time.
    If only other parts of the world would do the same. Not that what happens elsewhere should be a concern - but it is.

One of the most brilliant things about this country is the way in which athiests/agnostics and the religious coexist with mutual respect, and with tolerance sufficient to embrace the odd jibe from time to time.
    If only other parts of the world would do the same. Not that what happens elsewhere should be a concern - but it is.
    That's apathy for the most part.