Thread: Roadster - how to speed up gear change?

Roadster - how to speed up gear change?

Hi there
    It's over a year i've got my roadster, did a remap and still a bit frustrated by the gear change and how slow it can be...

Noticed on a website (http://www.thesmartclub.co.uk/motors...oadster/images) that they removed the Single plate dry clutch and installed a new Multi plate dry clutch on their Smart Roadster.

Anybody knows how to source it or if a similar thing was done to improve and speed up the gear change?
    Tks

It might be best asking on the smartclub, the guy whose car that is owns and runs that site!

I don't know of anything similar having been done on a road car.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel
    Nellie - 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander

Hi
    Yeah clearly and have already emailed them at least 3 times but seems they did not bothered replying... So checking around
    Cos that's a really funny car to drive but you can easily get upset by the gear change delays
    Any comment, help will be welcome
    Ta

Hi

Well I certainly can't trace any email (let alone three) requesting such information but I'm more than happy to provide you with the info required regarding all the development carried out on our Roadster. One thing to note however is that simply replacing the standard clutch with a multi plate will not improve gear change times.

I'm not certain what email address you used in the past but you can contact me directly any time via al (at) thesmartclub.com or via the relevant email and phone links shown in the 'Contact us' section on our web site www.thesmartclub.com

Kind regards

Al Young
    Chairman & Managing Director
    thesmartclub ltd

You do know there is a free software update which any Smart dealer can apply which speeds up the gear change don't you?
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================

Hi Al
    thank you for your response - used the following email : motorsport@thesmartclub.com as per the website
    your comment "....replacing the standard clutch with a multi plate will not improve gear change times." appreciated and noted.... good to know prior to spend time & money on it I guess.
    will try "Super Smartz" advise about the software update - worth a try.
    thank you to all

Our roadster remaps are specifically written with a gear change speed increase
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

You'll speed up gear changes significantly by correctly preloading clutch actuator. The gain depends on how bad preload is at present. Preload spot on and gain is nil.
    http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.php?17686
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Thank you for your response - will check this out

Hi SmartDZ

"Gearbox Fluid Change
    Although smart say this is a non servicable item, it would be foolish to use the same oil year in, year out. I recommended you change it every 3rd service. People have found the gearchange is much improved after doing this."[evilution]

more details and how to here:
    http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=305

I am planning to do it myself. Already bought the fluid, just waiting for warmer days to come to do the job.

best!

Krzysztof