Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Rear wheels on the front

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Death Star
    Posts
    55

    Rear wheels on the front

    Just installed a set of rears on the front - what a difference! Actually seems to grip the road instead of understeering like a mother.

    Read a few horror stories on some US forums, but as yet no drama for me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    483
    what horror stories have you heard?

    aside from increased wear and tear coupled with slightly worse fuel economy I can only think of a whole load of benefits having a wider contact patch!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Death Star
    Posts
    55
    Mostly hot air about bearing wear, MPG, potential rolling over, oversteer and ride.

    Personally, the ride is much improved and whilst bearing wear might increase a bit, I cant see that it would have that much of an effect given that the geometry is pretty much the same.

    I also personally cant see a massive problem with oversteer either.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    483
    running wider rubber at the front has a full vote of confidence from me.

    car was much more planted and stable and for the negligence in fuel economy, sure is worth it!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Burnley
    Posts
    1,420
    However much you like it it still invalidates your insurance, unless you have informed them and adds stresses to the car that it is not designed to handle.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Leeds West Yorks
    Posts
    147
    Ahhhh NO NO NO dont do it mate. The offsets are all wrong and you will get adverse wear on your bearings too. Get some roadster steels only about 30 a wheel from a Smart dealer then get some 185s on like me (or 175s that are on the rears) and Bobs your uncle!

    Maybe even Fannys your auntie... I have a nice full set in black (with Toyo boots on too) as it happens also with chrome s/s trims, which I could be persuaded to part with for a reasonable sum. When I bought them they were described as the 'Euro' look but they were all rears too so I got some NEW fronts.

    Mark/Hawk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    However much you like it it still invalidates your insurance, unless you have informed them and adds stresses to the car that it is not designed to handle.
    When I did that with my old passion wheels, Quinn direct just listed it as an admin change. No charge.

    And yes more stress on the car but considering that the brabus comes fitted with a 5.5j, 16" on the front, you can't possibly say that all the bearing are beefed up etc

    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Ahhhh NO NO NO dont do it mate. The offsets are all wrong and you will get adverse wear on your bearings too. Get some roadster steels only about 30 a wheel from a Smart dealer then get some 185s on like me (or 175s that are on the rears) and Bobs your uncle!

    Maybe even Fannys your auntie... I have a nice full set in black (with Toyo boots on too) as it happens also with chrome s/s trims, which I could be persuaded to part with for a reasonable sum. When I bought them they were described as the 'Euro' look but they were all rears too so I got some NEW fronts.

    Mark/Hawk
    Roadie steels are narrower at 5j?

    IIRC, Shaun told me to look into the roadie steels as they may be wider than the 451 steels...turns out the 451 are wider at 5.5j.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Leeds West Yorks
    Posts
    147
    ooops didnt realise these are for a 451 Braby... soz!

    Mark/Hawk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    ooops didnt realise these are for a 451 Braby... soz!

    Mark/Hawk
    not a brab iirc just a 451

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    BRISTOL
    Posts
    2,697
    Surely also cornering harder hurts bearings?!? Haha!

    I ran wider wheels with 3-5stud converters all round on my 450 - no issues.

    JJ

    www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •