Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suround Sound - Any good?

Question Suround Sound - Any good?

Hi,
    Has anyone experienced the current surround sound system being offered as a 510 upgrade on a new ForTwo? I'm thinking of adding one to the spec for a ForTwo ED.

I would say, don't bother... For half of that amount you can have better results if you go Aftermarket.
    '05 smart fortwo coupe passion cdi*
    *Gone and Missed

'12 smart fortwo cabrio pulse cdi

Does it have nav etc??

Doubt you will be fitting a nice aftermarket ICE setup in an Electric car.

A decent touch screen HU will set you back around 300 (no nav)

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

The Surround Sound doesn't include the Nav as far as I know.
    '05 smart fortwo coupe passion cdi*
    *Gone and Missed

'12 smart fortwo cabrio pulse cdi

Hi All,

just to clarify, today's Passion spec includes integrated Hi-Fi and Nav on the centre touch panel display. There is an option for adding extra tweeters and mid range drivers. Then there is the option to add a digital amp, sub woofers, extra tweeters and surround sound speakers. If you have the upgrades then you also have to have the electric mirrors as the tweeters fit instead of the manual mirror adjusters on the door panel. So the package should give you a nicely installed system that is not much of a temptation for the bad guys.

I've heard the standard system and it is clear enough if a bit 'thin'. What I want to know is what does the full blown surround sound system sound like? Is it better quality than the standard or does it just provide surround sound at the same quality level?
    Last edited by RatleyRambler; 19-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Flipping eck that is some sort of sound upgrade. Would hope it is pretty damn impressive for that much money.

Just fit aftermarket speakers - 500 is 400 too much for some rear speakers and some tweeters etc

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk

Sorry problemchild1976 but you are missing the point. The surround sound upgrade isn't just a couple of cheap speakers. It is a box of clever electronics that separates out the surround sound information contained in your normal digital stereo signal, converts the resulting 5+ channels to analogue signals and then feeds them via, hopefully, superior power amps to, hopefully, high quality speakers. The whole caboodle is professionally fitted into the car by the manufacturer, using proper connectors and wiring, without needing to hack holes in anything and doesn't degrade the resale value or whack up the insurance. If it then sounds really good, I consider that to be really good value for money.

So I'm not asking if the system is value for money, I'm just asking if it sounds significantly better than the standard system.

Well your mind is already made up

I've fitted my own superior power amps and high quality speakers before but never hacked anything. And never spent 500.

What make of amp and speakers are they??

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by RatleyRambler View Post
    Sorry problemchild1976 but you are missing the point. The surround sound upgrade isn't just a couple of cheap speakers. It is a box of clever electronics that separates out the surround sound information contained in your normal digital stereo signal, converts the resulting 5+ channels to analogue signals and then feeds them via, hopefully, superior power amps to, hopefully, high quality speakers. The whole caboodle is professionally fitted into the car by the manufacturer, using proper connectors and wiring, without needing to hack holes in anything and doesn't degrade the resale value or whack up the insurance. If it then sounds really good, I consider that to be really good value for money.

So I'm not asking if the system is value for money, I'm just asking if it sounds significantly better than the standard system.
    as JJ has said, it seems you've made your mind up however I thought the system was shocking. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of said 'surround system' speakers. Not only do they sound naf, they look like poorly engineered speakers.

The rear spakers can hardly be heard relative to the front, they're 3.5" with hardly any power being sent to them (all relative to the front) and for the subwoofer to actually be doing anything it sounds distorted.

Now I'm not sure what sounds 'good' to you, that is a highly subjective area, but for the money, which is the critical part, it's a scam.

The only good thing about the surround sound package is that it comes with tweeter pods which face you (great for imaging)

I wholeheartedly would suggest to you to go down the aftermarket route. You can pick yourself a set of speakers that sounds 'good' to you, you can have an amplifier that is more efficient and that sounds better than the factory option, and have a subwoofer that is well within it's potential to perform.

And another point to add, most insurance companies will cover you up to 500 for aftermarket audio. Degrading of resale value...well if installed properly, can all be returned to stock (I've been down that route myself 2 weeks back) and another point to add, having the premium system does not add any extra value to your resale value. At least I found that myself while trading in my car.

In conclusion, I wouldn't be jumping at the oem system, my car only had it because it was sitting on the dealer forecourt and we were able to negotiate a good price off the car (effectively taking out the surround package +some more). Yes the surround sound is 'better' but again the question is how much better? 500 more? I wouldn't say it is. Just to clarify, this is solely my take and opinion on the system. There are numerous owners who are happy with the system and think its good.

I'm no audiophile, far from it, but you are likely to have a system that sounds better going down the aftermarket route. You also have to remember that the factory speakers are 'engineered' to be heavily equalised and to most out there, they will never change it out. But the system won't go loud sounding balanced, you have to cut the 'bass' on the equalizer to be able to turn it up and then you forgo a decent midbass and subbass response.

JJ, the speakers are all smart branded. The actual woofers in the doors are the same throughout the models too. The extra money gets you an amplifier, 2 tweeters, 2 rear speakers and an under seat powered subwoofer

edit: one more point to add, how many artists record in 'surround sound'. You only need go as far as to see some dedicated listening rooms. 2 full range drivers and a subwoofer.
    Last edited by NeilP; 20-02-2013 at 11:09 AM.