Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: London Congestion Charge

Lightbulb London Congestion Charge

Hi

This was sent to me by Smart of Hertford;

Did you know you've got until 30th June 2013 to register your smart to ensure it's exempt from the London Congestion Charge for 3 years? Government legislation is due to come into force on 1st July 2013 and, as of this date, only cars under 75 g/km or those powered by electricity, will be exempt from the London Congestion Charge. Please see the below link for more information on the changes:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/27963.aspx

I'm sure you all know about this but I checked and my new (used) smart is a 2010 model and won't qualify for this. Apparently not all models qualify for exemption.

Currently there are no diesel or petrol car in manufacture that meet the new criteria, thats according to Which.
    There's a 'sunset' period of grace allowing cars registered before July (I think) to continue as long as they are at, or below, 100g/km. It seems the change is designed to stimulate the growth of electric vehicles. This also sets car manufacturers with a challenge to develop the internal combustion engine even further. If we look back we can see that legislation has pushed the development of cleaner, more fuel efficient vehicles.

Was the congestion charge intended to prevent congestion or pollution? If the former, then pure electric cars are still cars and take up the same space and congest but if the latter, then some big motorbikes pollute in the same way as cars surely?

It's a congestion charge isn't it. So ultimately if the city became flooded with electric cars, they would change the rules, I guess.

Yes, then they would simply tax all four wheeled vehicles! Of course they know that still comparatively few people own electric cars so far and probably for a few years hence.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefania View Post
    Yes, then they would simply tax all four wheeled vehicles! Of course they know that still comparatively few people own electric cars so far and probably for a few years hence.
    That's the answer.
    Fuel cell with electric motors offer much greater range, limited only by the number of filling stations, and although I'm only guessing, my guess is that they will deliver below 75g/km.

So can my new to be smart gb10 71bhp 2010 be exempt from congestion charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Smart-e-pants View Post
    So can my new to be smart gb10 71bhp 2010 be exempt from congestion charge?
    No, afraid not.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel
    Nellie - 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander

I have been in London for the past few days.I went on the train 16 return booked well in advance,so no congestion charge worries.
    The traffic is as bad as ever,so it has not worked.
    I wanted to see if the VW UP/Skoda Citigo was popular in London. I only counted 3 in 4 days,however Smarts are everywhere. I gave up counting after 40. I see loads of Smarts in Manchester,but nothing compared to London.They are still the car to have in the city,which is why i am keeping mine for at least another year.