Thread: smart misfire

smart misfire

hi there wondering if anyone can help I have an 03 plate smart for2 pulse with a misfire on cylinder 2 .its had full engine rebuild ,new plugs injectors checked new valves, rings,timing checked and is all ok also compression all ok .
    no codes found in system but if u disconnect cylinders 1and3 it cuts out if you disconnect cylinders 2 it cuts out any ideas

Plug leads?

By what method are you 'disconnecting' cylinders? (Merely removing plug leads and leaving them lying there is a good way to destroy them).

Have you tested to see if have a spark (take the spark plug out, leave connected to the HT lead, get someone to turn the key whilst you hold the sparkplug (by the ht lead i usually use insulated grips) against the chassis) if it sparks great if not it could be the coil pack or the HT lead, they can be prone to failure, mine was arching inside the cylinder, you could hear it ticking

Quote Originally Posted by mattfordyford View Post
    hi there wondering if anyone can help I have an 03 plate smart for2 pulse with a misfire on cylinder 2 .its had full engine rebuild ,new plugs injectors checked new valves, rings,timing checked and is all ok also compression all ok .
    no codes found in system but if u disconnect cylinders 1and3 it cuts out if you disconnect cylinders 2 it cuts out any ideas
    "Does not compute!"
    Who is "u" that is working on your car?

What are you saying?

Which plugs are you trying?....just the top ones or the bottom ones?
    3 leads or ALL six of them?

Who did the rebuild....guess to whom most of us think you should be asking questions of?

As pinger pointed out, with 2modern" electronic ignition systems, it's easy to blow the "power-pack" up if it's not under load. ie, has a spark-plug connected to it.

The "pack" should produce ca. 27kv to the plug IN the engine.
    OFF load it may "try" to produce up to 150kv...and the wiring/construction of the coil is not designed for that.(Nor is the electronics behind it...that has to cope with the back emf)
    Taking a lead off and testing for a spark was MY old school method (30 years ago, you could get away with it), I wouldn't try it now.

Oh, and welcome to the forum....nice of you to introduce yourself.
    Guessing you only the bought the car yesterday as we haven't met you before....
    Last edited by Or_GazM; 01-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.

sounds like the ht leads may have been on the wrong way what is the firing order?

you excel at sarcasm Gaz lol
    A wise old owl lived in an oak
    The more he saw the less he spoke
    The less he spoke the more he heard.
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?

Member of the Official "Mad Smartz Club" (MSc)
    New recruit

Quote Originally Posted by postie View Post
    sounds like the ht leads may have been on the wrong way what is the firing order?

you excel at sarcasm Gaz lol
    My comments were even more sarcastic when this post was replied to....
    Look at the date.....Thee who thinks 01-07-2013 is a thread worth commenting upon

MSc
    Rules!!!!!

hey if there was more action I could comment on more recent events lol

New recruit

hey if there was more action I could comment on more recent events lol
    There probably is more action but allegedly people posts things on this forum only for the posts to vanish never to be seen again. Don't mention that to Gaz though lol

As a admin of many satellite forums and also a mod on a few I have to say never..... not lol

New recruit

As a admin of many satellite forums and also a mod on a few I have to say never..... not lol
    We tend to be more down to Earth.....
    As you are on many "satellite" forums, I assume you have to be able to read between all the "space" between them....so; G F Y .
    (Figure that one out!)

Have to laugh now....Hille worked it out, and said "That was not nice said!!!"