Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 450 engine wash

Erm not so sure about that. I'm always suspicious when buying a car if the engine is clean. It makes me wonder if it has an oil leak & the seller has cleaned the bay to remove the evidence. I'd much rather see a dirty engine bay with no oily deposits.
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    Erm not so sure about that. I'm always suspicious when buying a car if the engine is clean. It makes me wonder if it has an oil leak & the seller has cleaned the bay to remove the evidence. I'd much rather see a dirty engine bay with no oily deposits.
    Yep, that.

You should never steam clean an engine, steam vapour will penetrate worn seals, electrical systems more readily than water.

As for motorcycle engines, they're designed to be exposed to the elements but most of the electrical systems are buried. I personally wouldn't clean an engine for risk of water ingress, it's like IP ratings, somethings can be fully immerse in water and others are splash proof.
    Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    Now I'm really confused... I can get my head around cleaning the panels once a year but cleaning the engine??! nope sorry... protective layer of grime
    Yea I'm with you there but had to take it for roadworthy

My opinion....

It's and engine, and unless it's a true showcar, it should stay reasonable grimy to protect it (shock I know right, something I won't polish to within an inch of it's life!).

My car sold monday and the guy buying it got underneath and mentionned the film of grease and I simply told him that it's exactly that, grease and not liquid/dripping oil (I also knew that the engine wasn't using a drop of oil anyway). He was happy with that and agreed it was fine.

However in the past (not on a smart I might add, the engine is too neatly tucked away) when I have cleaned engines I have focused just on the plastics and resevoirs that are near the top. I have tackled this with a degreaser (check that this is safe on rubber/plastics for obvious reasons) in a foaming spray bottle, loads of brushes and a million Microfibres.

I tend to spray isolated areas as opposed to smothering everything in sight, give it a light agitation and then wipe clean with a damp microfibre (often rinsing this out in a bucket of hotwater). Once done I take a rubber/plastic dressing and wipe over to protect the surfaces, and thats it! if you're selling a car, yes make the visible parts around the top clean and tidy, but don't remove all the grease down below as it may look like you're trying to hide a leak (oil or otherwise)!

No steam, no pressure washers, no watering cans etc, I'm sorry but it's just not worth it with all the additional electronics under the hood now. When I was a kid I had my engine steamed and a month later I was paying 300 for a new Dizzy Cap!

But like I said, just my opinion!
    For Detailing advice, or to see examples of my work please visit
    www.atten2detail.co.uk
    Essex Detailer | Essex Car Detailing
    www.facebook.com/Atten2Detail
    Don't forget to 'Like' the page

Thanx to all I went in from under with thinners and a paint brush and a piece of cloth that witch the thinners did not wash off i used the rag

30 years ago it was no problem to steam-clean engines (I used to do it as a sideline for 6 months, between jobs)...secret was, have the engine running at around 2000rpm whilst you did it.
    Also, it was steam at 120C....not high power water jet.
    Must have done 30 or 40 engines without a single problem.....but I do know of others who didn't have the engine running and would spends hours later trying to start them!

These days, engines are 90% electronics, rather than the 1% they used to be.....I wouldn't touch one of those!

baby wipes work to get the dust off, Paul used them on one of the Mustangs

Which part(s) of the horse does he actually use the wipes on?

Sorry, but I'm speaking from experience rather than theory. I've washed every engine on every car I've ever owned. I did wet up the points once on a mini, dried them out and all was fine.

I would also be suspicious if it was only the motor that was gleaming, but if the rest of the car is equally well maintained. I'd be chuffed.
    Smart car lover.

What about Gunk applied with surgical precision using a paint brush, followed by a wash and blow dry (deliberate bait for Gaz).