Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 lines on dash p2035, not starting

3 lines on dash p2035, not starting

I parked the smart up and came back to it with 3 lines on the dash. Towed it back, plugged in DAS and found code P2035- turning angle sensor, It suggest to do gear teach in which I try but it after it starts it says unsuccessfull and then a few seconds after it moves all the gears like it would normally do during a teach in.

What could the fault be?

Is the turning angle sensor this
    http://www.smart-stuff.co.uk/gearbox...ster-763-p.asp

Thanks

First thing to check would be the wiring down to the gearbox / clutch actuator as it is known to get damaged where it goes through the plastic of the inter cooler scoop.

John

Checked the wiring and evertyhing seems in order, no chaffing at all on the black conduit. I am getting this p2033 and p2035 errors

p2033 is Overcurrent cutout in transmission at a duty cycle>0

Could it be the angle sensor is faulty? not quite sure what p2033 is

I had the same problem as you and it showed P2035. The advice was to change both the gear position sensor and the gear selection motor as the experience of some was that they tend to fail in unison.
    Replacement of the parts didn't effect a cure without it having to be trailered to a dealer for a reteach which wouldn't 'take'. Left it with them and they eventually sorted it out but without being able to give a proper reason as to what had happened other than suspecting an internal gearbox fault. That was 12500 miles back and it's been fine since.
    Out of curiosity - has your odometer converted to km during this?

I guess you should change the gear position sensor first (approx 40 and relatively easy) before shelling out on a somewhat more expensive gear selection motor which is a bit of a pig to fit.

Hope some of the above helps.
    Last edited by pinger; 16-07-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: deletion of erroneous material.

Hi mate,

Hmm, did they have to replace anything extra after replacing the motor and the sensor? any additional charges apart from the reteach. I have das so I won't have to take it to the dealer (If anyone needs help with DAS/diagnostics in the nw london area pm me) I have done it before too and it was successful but this was a year ago.

I have done the tests on the gear position sensor and the resistance and thes tests pass al though the resistance was on the max allowed.

I stripped back the loom all the way to the big ecu plug and all the wires are fine and I tested continuity to the big plug for the speed sensor, selection motor, clutch actuator, gear position sensor all were o.k.

This car has been no end of problems, I have my own performance workshop so hardly get time to fix it in between jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by jabran200 View Post
    Hi mate,

Hmm, did they have to replace anything extra after replacing the motor and the sensor? any additional charges apart from the reteach.
    I replaced the gear position sensor and the gear selector motor expecting that to fix it - with the possibility that a 'teach-in' may be required. It was. But the dealer took 3 hours to achieve it and was looking at the gearbox oil for signs of an internal problem - none found.

The car when the problem first arose (3-bars on the dash) was still driving until the code was read (Texa(?) kit - not MB STAR). Then, (from memory) it would start but not select a gear at which point someone (not me!) thought it a good idea to touch together both leads that connect to the battery at which point it wouldn't even start.
    Whether that caused the subsequent teach-in problem I don't know. It was possibly/probably the cause of the odometer shifting to showing in km and the disappearance of my fuel countdown (in 0.5litre increments) - unless yours has done the same...

O.k, Thanks for elaborating.

Mine occured (already had a turning off issues with single bar) after a friend borrowed it to go to his house a couple miles away whilst I was fixing his car. He parked it up and came back to a single bar, I told him to just wait a few minutes with igniton off and try as that always worked but after a whilse it was still flashing the single line. I told him to disconnect the battery and wait a minute and reconnect but it was still flashing so at that point and the 3 bars started coming on. I towed it back after this as it was pointless checking on the roadside.

Prior to the events as I've relayed them, mine did (a month or so earlier) a dress rehearsal of what was to follow. Lost gears and throttle control while trying to pull away from a traffic light stop and then again 20mins later after being parked. On both occasions I could hear it self testing its gears (clanging!), and both times it eventually sorted itself after a few attempts turning the ignition on and off. I cannot remember what showed on the dash (single or 3,bars, 0, or anything else).
    I checked the wiring (visually) and re-seated the connectors to the gps and gsm and all was well. For a month.....

Isn't a single bar indicative of a CANbus issue - usually meaning 'lost communication'? And can't a faulty component throw up the same but in code?
    Last edited by pinger; 10-07-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Well I was trying to solve the single line issue which I suspected to be a faulty wire but never found any.

Anyway managed to borrow a smart car for a short while today and swapped the sensor over to mine and still nothing, reading the same as my sensor so I don't think that is faulty.

What I noticed was that the incrmental sensor is showing 123, 1000 is reverse, then it goes down to zero in approx 125 increments in this order R,N,1,2,3,4,5. If I am reading it correclty it thinks it is in 4-5 gear?

I think I may have sussed the 3 bar issues, It for some reason is stuck in 5th and I guess it knows it too (hence the 3 bars). It is a bit silly that it won't sort it self out and switch to neutral as you turn the car on?

I guess I'll have to manuall switch it to neutral which should be easy using das as guide for the position. The position sensor needs to round around 905 for neutral fyi.